Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.20 Finally Released, Brings X11 Drag & Drop Fixes

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.20 Finally Released, Brings X11 Drag & Drop Fixes

Wine 1.7.20 was delayed an extra two weeks due to outside scheduling conflicts, but that new release is now available. While the release schedule was twice as long, the release isn't too particularly exciting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

on my case steam still working with this wine version

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
      on my case steam still working with this wine version

I think the Wine devs would be in hot water if they even had a beta release in which Steam *didn't* work. Of all titles I'm sure Steam will be the last program to break.

That said, there's been quite a few months of "not really exciting" lately.

Comment

Originally posted by dffx View Post
        That said, there's been quite a few months of "not really exciting" lately.
        Depending who you talk to... In this release; ntdll: Fix LdrLockLoaderLock()/LdrUnlockLoaderLock() on 64bit is great for those who were affected by the bug this patch fixes; 64bit VSTs crashing under certain conditions [easy to trigger with some out-of-tree wine patches]. and it wouldn't just not just _some_ plugins, it would crash ANY x64 plugin... So it's kind of a big deal, that this problem is now solved upstream. [i've been using that patch for weeks, but previously had to hack around the problem].

I guess by "not really exciting" you probably mean no CSMT yet, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
          Depending who you talk to... In this release; ntdll: Fix LdrLockLoaderLock()/LdrUnlockLoaderLock() on 64bit is great for those who were affected by the bug this patch fixes; 64bit VSTs crashing under certain conditions [easy to trigger with some out-of-tree wine patches]. and it wouldn't just not just _some_ plugins, it would crash ANY x64 plugin... So it's kind of a big deal, that this problem is now solved upstream. [i've been using that patch for weeks, but previously had to hack around the problem].

I guess by "not really exciting" you probably mean no CSMT yet, eh?
          I'm personally not super concerned about CSMT -- as I recall there are a couple of games that I play that don't run well with the CSMT patch. I haven't played with it for quite a few versions. Do you know if it works with the latest version? Last I heard you had to use an older version to use it.

But no, I'm just talking about overall compatibility improvements, or any progress towards that most elusive and distant of goals, namely increased DX10/11 support.

Of course I greatly appreciate all of the bug fixes, though I don't believe any of them effected me directly.

Comment

I'm really sad about the latest Wine versions because they can't play my Neverwinter Nights install from GOG (it actually couldn't install it either, but I worked around that by using Windows to install to a USB drive). It starts the launcher just fine, but it crashes right after clicking "play"

This makes me sad because two years ago, Wine played the Disk Install version BETTER (faster, etc) than my Windows install did.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              I'm really sad about the latest Wine versions because they can't play my Neverwinter Nights install from GOG (it actually couldn't install it either, but I worked around that by using Windows to install to a USB drive). It starts the launcher just fine, but it crashes right after clicking "play"

This makes me sad because two years ago, Wine played the Disk Install version BETTER (faster, etc) than my Windows install did.
              Why not perform a bisect?

Comment

I'm really sad about the latest Wine versions becBeen beause they can't play my Neverwinter Nights install from GOG (it actually couldn't install it either, but I worked around that by using Windows to install to a USB drive). It starts the launcher just fine, but it crashes right after clicking "play"

Ummm.. NWN? Just use the native binary: http://icculus.org/~ravage/nwn/

Been out for a loooooong time....

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
                  Ummm.. NWN? Just use the native binary: http://icculus.org/~ravage/nwn/

Been out for a loooooong time....
                  First things first: I don't have the CDs. My dad gave them away a while ago (hence why I bought it on GOG.com)

I've done the method of:
                  - Install on Windows
                  - Copy installed files over to Linux partition
                  - overwrite files with Linux client

And it works, but there's no sound (neither in game or in menus) and the movies don't work
                  I actually tried this method first, before resorting to Wine (I wasn't aware this method existed the last time I played NWN on Linux) but since I really, REALLY wanted sound...

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                  Why not perform a bisect?
                  I have no idea what a bisect is, but I assume it's a form of debugging. Honestly, it's less work for me to boot into Windows and play. I just remember getting more performance on Linux+Wine at higher resolutions than on Windows (which I thought was funny).

Comment

And it works, but there's no sound (neither in game or in menus) and the movies don't work
                    The movies not working is by design, it's mentioned in the documentation. Probably bink playback wasn't supported back then under linux. (By the way, it doesn't work under Vista/7/8 either, only under XP and earlier). Having no sound, however, is a real problem and must be connected to miles. I remember having problems with NWN because of miles, crashing or something like that. There was a workaround to exclude the binary that comes with the client and after that everything was OK. If you're interested making it to work, try googling about this problem, the solution may as well work for your no sound issue as well.
                    Last edited by tarceri; 14 June 2014, 10:13 AM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Comment

Working...
                    X