Wine 1.7.20 Finally Released, Brings X11 Drag & Drop Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
    I have no idea what a bisect is, but I assume it's a form of debugging. Honestly, it's less work for me to boot into Windows and play.
    He's basically saying that you should look for the commit that broke that game for you.
    Basically you know the last date when it worked, and you know that now it doesn't.
    So you try with a wine build at half in between those dates.
    Depending on the result, you do the same of the right half or the left half and so on, till you find the bad commit.

Comment

I'm really sad about the latest Wine versions because they can't play my Neverwinter Nights install from GOG (it actually couldn't install it either, but I worked around that by using Windows to install to a USB drive). It starts the launcher just fine, but it crashes right after clicking "play"

This makes me sad because two years ago, Wine played the Disk Install version BETTER (faster, etc) than my Windows install did.
      Its strange on my case i have GOG version and works without problem

But I use nvidia card with lastest propietary drivers with this command

__GL_ExtensionStringVersion=17700 WINEDEBUG=-all wine steam
      Sometimes also need rename movies folder for work

Last edited by pinguinpc; 14 June 2014, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
        He's basically saying that you should look for the commit that broke that game for you.
        Basically you know the last date when it worked, and you know that now it doesn't.
        Depending on the result, you do the same of the right half or the left half and so on, till you find the bad commit.
        It's technically not debugging I think. Say, that for example, wine 1.7.12 worked and wine 1.7.13 failed. Then you create a clone of the wine tree and do:

git bisect start v1.7.13 v1.7.12
        Now, rebuild (configure, make, make install) and run the app each time. If the app succeeds

git bisect good
        if the app fails

git bisect bad
        Eventually git will say something like:

First broken commit <long value here>

Where <long value here> is change between v1.7.13 and v1.7.12. You could report this to the wine developers and view the difference. On some occassions (if you bisect early) you could go to the latest version and revert this commit and see if this fixes the issue:

git revert <long value here>
        Developers like working on the latest version of their software. So a fix in the latest version (a revert in this case) to showcase the problem will definitly get their attention.

Comment

Originally posted by dffx View Post
          I'm personally not super concerned about CSMT -- as I recall there are a couple of games that I play that don't run well with the CSMT patch. I haven't played with it for quite a few versions. Do you know if it works with the latest version? Last I heard you had to use an older version to use it.

But no, I'm just talking about overall compatibility improvements, or any progress towards that most elusive and distant of goals, namely increased DX10/11 support.

Of course I greatly appreciate all of the bug fixes, though I don't believe any of them effected me directly.
          I'd be happy if they supported the DX9 state tracker. I have tried CSMT on my laptop and it makes little difference. It's probably better with a really powerful CPU, which my laptops i3 is not. The move to support DX10/11 would probably bring even further degradation of performance. Something more dramatic needs to be done to go that route.

Comment

I was excited when he mentioned the drag&drop functionality was finally fixed, so I updated Wine... it's still broken
            I use Wine to run Notepad++ for development, but recently drag&drop stopped working, so I had to add entry to dolphin's "Open With" context menu, unfortunately that's dependent on the extension (which I could also add the option for), so for non-php files I press Shift+F4 to bring up a terminal and type "npp file" (I have an alias for it in ~/bin/).

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
              That might work... if the last "working Wine version" wasn't 1.3.x... >.<
              I haven't played in a few years

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              I'd be happy if they supported the DX9 state tracker. I have tried CSMT on my laptop and it makes little difference. It's probably better with a really powerful CPU, which my laptops i3 is not. The move to support DX10/11 would probably bring even further degradation of performance. Something more dramatic needs to be done to go that route.
              They won't support the D3D9 state tracker for the same reason many people aren't supporting Mir upstream: It's a single-vendor solution. Hell, it's a half-vendor solution... Only AMD cards on Open Source drivers would be able to access the ability.
              Now, say the Open Source NVidia drivers switched to Gallium3D... then the Wine devs would give it serious thought.

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
              Its strange on my case i have GOG version and works without problem

But I use nvidia card with lastest propietary drivers with this command

Sometimes also need rename movies folder for work

I don't think the GOG version is the one on Steam... also, the GOG version is now up to version 2.0.0, and your game was on 1.69 (which was the last "official" update before GOG took control of it). Maybe a patch GOG did to support Windows 8 or something (bringing it up to version "2.0") broke the Wine support?

Comment

[...] Now, say the Open Source NVidia drivers switched to Gallium3D [...]
                Nouveau is already based on Gallium3D, it's the official Intel driver that is pure Mesa (there is LunarG's ilo driver though, but it isn't as optimized or even well known).

Comment

Originally posted by chinoto View Post
                  Nouveau is already based on Gallium3D, it's the official Intel driver that is pure Mesa (there is LunarG's ilo driver though, but it isn't as optimized or even well known).
                  Yeah, just learned that in another thread. I know next to nothing about Nouveau, so I'm sorry for that
                  I could have sworn that "It would only work on AMD cards, so no" was Wine's reason... maybe they just ignore Nouveau because so few people use it? idk :/

Is the D3D9 state tracker actually in Gallium3D mainline? Or is it still on a fork? If it's mainline, and we could convince Intel to add such a state tracker to it's driver... It would be interesting to see people developing D3D applications on Linux... And it would help the porting of Games, to be sure ^.^

(wouldn't it be funny if the Linux drivers could provide better D3D performance than the Windows ones? >.<)

Comment

That might work... if the last "working Wine version" wasn't 1.3.x... >.<
                    I haven't played in a few years
                    It's a binary search, so a few years would only add a couple extra checks.

On the sad side, building Wine takes 15 minutes on a hexacore in RAM. It's an extremely bad project to bisect in that sense, which they acknowledge: they have that binary repo with snapshots (was it weekly?) which you can use to start the search, only having to build a couple times.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      On the sad side, building Wine takes 15 minutes on a hexacore in RAM. It's an extremely bad project to bisect in that sense, which they acknowledge: they have that binary repo with snapshots (was it weekly?) which you can use to start the search, only having to build a couple times.
                      That is not entirely true. Once the amount of changes becomes low, the build system will detect that some files have not changed and skip rebuilding parts of the tree.

Besides, 15 minutes is minor. Ever tried bisecting a kernel on ~10 yr old machine? (distcc for the win btw...)

Comment

Working...
                      X