Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU's ddrescue For Data Recovery Has Been Updated

Phoronix: GNU's ddrescue For Data Recovery Has Been Updated

The latest version of ddrescue is now available for copying data from one file or block device to another while trying to recover good parts in the event of read errors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone used ddrescue -S before? Haven't used it before for creating disk images and I was curious to know if the sparse-files option really cut down on the size of the image or if it was fairly minor space-savings. Is it good enough that a disk that only had 40GB stored on a filesystem spanning a 1TB drive really would only be about a 40GB image?
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Anyone used ddrescue -S before? Haven't used it before for creating disk images and I was curious to know if the sparse-files option really cut down on the size of the image or if it was fairly minor space-savings. Is it good enough that a disk that only had 40GB stored on a filesystem spanning a 1TB drive really would only be about a 40GB image?
      I'm quite interested in how the sparse-files option would work too. Unless it had knowledge of the filesystem, how would it be able to skip over deleted data and only copy the used space?

Comment

Awesome piece of free software that so many depend on, sooner or later.

Comment

Does it have a GUI?

I have seen one or two separate (somewhat) easy to use GUIs, I hope they would attempt to integrate one of them and take that to the next level.

Comment

Working...
          X