Switch user freezes system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch user freezes system

running ubuntu 8.04, ati catalyst 8.5 and have a 3650 ati card.
    switch user hangs up the system.
    It's not related to commpiz as even disabling it gives the same error

i've posted in very possible place, but not getting any further.
    any idea on how to solve this

First, make sure that /etc/ati/authatieventsd.sh points to the correct location of X's magic cookie(/var/run/xauth), as detailed on these pages:

If you are running Kubuntu Hardy with the flgrx drivers and logging out does not work due to the Xorg process locking up at 100% of CPU usag...

Using Feisty, Gnome and GDM: 1) log in as any user 2) Log out or Switch user on the Quit screen The screen goes black, Ctrl+Alt+Backspace does not work, nor does the Ctrl+Alt+F1-12. Interestingly, Numlock LED is still responsive. The only way out is hard reboot. I looked for the solution on forums. One advice was to turn on "Restart the X server with each login", however, it did not help. I am not aware of any non-default configuration, I can supply my gdm.conf-custom if needed.

Second, if that doesn't work, you can try disabling atieventsd entirely(run sudo /usr/sbin/update-rc.d -f atieventsd remove or try an app like sysv-rc-conf), with the caveat that power and fan speed management will no longer function (the card will run with full power and fan speed at all times).

Third: Wait around for AMD to produce a driver that isn't quite so defective. Or for the radeonHD driver to progress a bit. If you find a solution, I implore you to please post it here (I have the same issue with my HD3650).

You might find some nuggets of wisdom in this thread or this thread, but perhaps not. My fingers are crossed for you.

Comment

First of all thanks for answering.

I tried all the following:

setting restartserver to true in gdm.conf
      changing path in linux/restricted module
      setting composite to disable
      applied patch recommended by 1 user
      disabling ati notification
      disabling compiz

so far nothing has worked.

Im going to give it a fresh try on 64bit version and will post result tomorrow.

Im pretty amazed that such a critical bug is not being treated with more urgency

Comment

Working...
      X