Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LunarG ILO Gallium3D vs. Intel's DRI Driver On Mesa 10.3-devel

Phoronix: LunarG ILO Gallium3D vs. Intel's DRI Driver On Mesa 10.3-devel

The Linux graphics benchmarks we have to publish today at Phoronix are some tests of the Intel "ILO" Gallium3D driver that is independently developed by LunarG as an unofficial alternative to the classic Intel Mesa DRI driver that's officially supported by the Intel Open-Source Technology Center.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You should bench true games !

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So this was mainline and not "glassy mesa" yet, I guess... I would have expected that, since both are developed by LunarG...

Anyway, why is it that it is so far behind, even in opengl features, not only performance? Are they trying to find a way to reuse as much code as possible from intel's classic mesa driver?

Comment

Actually, when benchmarking proprietary drivers, it is IMO best to use more unknown or niche games like FOSS shooters, because it's more likely that the drivers won't contain game/benchmark specific hacks and/or replacement shaders, so it's harder for the driver to cheat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
            Actually, when benchmarking proprietary drivers, it is IMO best to use more unknown or niche games like FOSS shooters, because it's more likely that the drivers won't contain game/benchmark specific hacks and/or replacement shaders, so it's harder for the driver to cheat.
            I don't care about proprietary drivers. I'm talking about free drivers.

Comment

You benchmarked Open Arena, Reaction Quake 3, Unvanquished, Warsow and Xonotic.
              Why all these pretty useless games ?
              That would be much more intersting to only test Xonotic and Doom 3 (for instance).

Comment

You benchmarked Open Arena, Reaction Quake 3, Unvanquished, Warsow and Xonotic.
                Why all these pretty useless games ?
                That would be much more intersting to only test Xonotic and Doom 3 (for instance).
                Yep all those are id Tech 4 engine based games . Xonotic with different settings is enough to represent all those, then one id Tech 5 and one Source engine based, Cube 2, etc... .

Actually i would like to see ioQuake, ioRTCW, ioXYZ... rend2 renderer is pretty decent (and low performer ) on those but different .
                Last edited by dungeon; 13 June 2014, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                  So this was mainline and not "glassy mesa" yet, I guess... I would have expected that, since both are developed by LunarG...

Anyway, why is it that it is so far behind, even in opengl features, not only performance? Are they trying to find a way to reuse as much code as possible from intel's classic mesa driver?
                  Wondering the same thing...

Comment

This has been in git for a while as its in good enough state for someone to build and use if they wanted to. As far as I understand glassy mesa is still in the research phase, LunarG are not even suggesting it should be merged yet. There are also other things that will need to be worked out with glassy mesa such as the extra dependencies it adds e.g glslang.

I could be wrong but I believe the biggest obstacle in reusing code is the ilo shader backend needs to use tgsi ir which is different from the ir intel use for their shader backends.

Comment

Working...
                    X