Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
    Firefox is really betting behind!

No 64 bit support for x86_64 while all other browsers have.
    Mozilla needs to spend some time on improving the technical inards of Firefox, under the hood features!
    Code:
     ~ zypper if MozillaFirefox | grep Arch
    Arch: x86_64
    Honestly, x86_64 is one of the most overrated things in browsers. Yes, it can give a very small performance boost, increase the ram usage limit (anyone will complain if a browser uses more than 20mb of ram with 100 tabs open anyway) and gives better ASLR, but there are many things that could improve everything more and require less efforts (Windows is awful when it comes to 64bit).
    Also, given that this is a Linux site, the 64bit problem is solved already, as Firefox is 64bit on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
      Code:
       ~ zypper if MozillaFirefox | grep Arch
      Arch: x86_64
      Honestly, x86_64 is one of the most overrated things in browsers. Yes, it can give a very small performance boost, increase the ram usage limit (anyone will complain if a browser uses more than 20mb of ram with 100 tabs open anyway) and gives better ASLR, but there are many things that could improve everything more and require less efforts (Windows is awful when it comes to 64bit).
      Also, given that this is a Linux site, the 64bit problem is solved already, as Firefox is 64bit on that.
      Simply opening chrome with no tabs and only adblock increases memory usage by 400mb in my computer

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
        Good stuff. I wish ARM called it "ARM64" instead of "AArch64", though. I know they must've thought it would be confused with AMD64, but I doubt it because nobody really uses AMD64, and it would've still been a better compromise than using AArch64. Oh well. Nobody ever accused chip companies of being good with names.
        AMD64 would be all 64 bit x86 hardware from AMD, Intel and VIA, doubt that there are any unlicensed CPUs around it yet like there is for 32 bit x86 designs like those from DM&P Electronics, like the Vortex86MX+.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
          AMD64 would be all 64 bit x86 hardware from AMD, Intel and VIA, doubt that there are any unlicensed CPUs around it yet like there is for 32 bit x86 designs like those from DM&P Electronics, like the Vortex86MX+.
          I didn't mean the chips are not used, but that the name isn't. Everyone calls it x64. That's why I said not too many people would confuse ARM64 with AMD64, since not many are using AMD64 in conversations to begin with.

Comment

Working...
          X