Firefox Runs On 64-bit ARM (AArch64)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox Runs On 64-bit ARM (AArch64)

Phoronix: Firefox Runs On 64-bit ARM (AArch64)

While it will still be a while before consumers are able to see 64-bit ARM hardware on their desk, Mozilla's Firefox web-browser on AArch64 (64-bit ARM) is working...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    it will still be a while before consumers are able to see 64-bit ARM hardware on their desk
    I did it!
    I just put my iPad Air on my desk.

Comment

Good stuff. I wish ARM called it "ARM64" instead of "AArch64", though. I know they must've thought it would be confused with AMD64, but I doubt it because nobody really uses AMD64, and it would've still been a better compromise than using AArch64. Oh well. Nobody ever accused chip companies of being good with names.

Comment

If they manage to give us fanless laptops with HiDPI screens nice design and good performance bring it. Some proprietary apps are required though. We already know that there won't be any trouble running the FOSS ones.

Comment

And still no 64bit Version for Windows ...

Note: The unofficial Build are no full features Builds. Many features are disabled on x64.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            And still no 64bit Version for Windows ...

Note: The unofficial Build are no full features Builds. Many features are disabled on x64.
            Well even Chrome on Windows used to be 32 Bit only untill recently (like a week ago). They said that they had a lot of problems with 64-Bit on Windows.

Today we’re announcing the addition of 64-bit support to Chrome, with two brand new 64-bit Dev and Canary channels for Windows 7 and 8 users...

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              Well even Chrome on Windows used to be 32 Bit only untill recently (like a week ago). They said that they had a lot of problems with 64-Bit on Windows.

http://blog.chromium.org/2014/06/try...anary-and.html
              Where do they say that they have a lot of problems with 64bit? On your link its the opposite. More Speed, Better Security and less Crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                Where do they say that they have a lot of problems with 64bit? On your link its the opposite. More Speed, Better Security and less Crashes.
                I assume he means the process of getting everything working on Win64, not necessarily that there's no benefits to it.

I've been using Nightly (nightly builds of Firefox's latest code) Win64 builds for years now. For all those people who are going to say "nightly builds are unstable", I've never had any issues with them. I really don't understand why it took Chromium so long.

Comment

Firefox is really betting behind!

No 64 bit support for x86_64 while all other browsers have.
                  Mozilla needs to spend some time on improving the technical inards of Firefox, under the hood features!

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
                    Firefox is really betting behind!

No 64 bit support for x86_64 while all other browsers have.
                    Mozilla needs to spend some time on improving the technical inards of Firefox, under the hood features!
                    They've had support for it for years now, read my post above. I don't think Chrome has this for stable builds yet either by the way.

Comment

Working...
                    X