No announcement yet.

AMD Marketing Manager Mentions Linux & Mantle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I hear is AMD HD 5000/6000 owners are FFFFFFFFFFuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Originally posted by Debcool View Post
      Salut,

I've been waiting since I got my HD4850...
      I've been waiting since I got my HD7850...
      ...and I am still waiting to see.

Then, I bought an nvidia gtx760 three month ago & guess what??
      I plugged it, I installed the blob driver (no real alternative currently) and since then... I can play, I can watch my movies properly and so on.

So, why should I still care about AMD ATI RADEON's (whatever you call it) possible futur hardware/software product???

If that company want to get more customers or even just keep them, why doesn't she make it real?

Nvidia, Intel, Valve...did and still do.

I am fed up waiting, wishing, hoping... Stop promessing, just do it and shut your mouth until then!

May be, I said may be, I'll reconsider my position about their products if it happen one of these days but I won't wait anymore.

a+
      Deb[NOT]cool
      This is basically the strategy of AMD:

I, like you, was sick of waiting and bought a Nvidia card.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
        R9 is the 'performance' series, which is aimed at high-performance gamers. R9 270, AFAIK, is a rebranded Tahiti/HD7970, which was the high-end card of the previous desktop graphics generation.
        Anyone who does not play 'AAA' games at >1080p doesn't need the horsepower of an R9.
        Eh no. R9-270/r9-270X is rebranded same/overclocked hd7870 aka pitcairn xt, r9-280 is rebranded hd7950 aka tahiti pro and r9-280X is rebranded a bit underclocked hd7970GHz aka tahiti xt.(+r7-265 is rebranded hd7850boost aka pitcairn pro).

I would say most of R9:s are mostly bought for coin maining, not really gaming...

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
          Eh no. R9-270/r9-270X is rebranded same/overclocked hd7870 aka pitcairn xt, r9-280 is rebranded hd7950 aka tahiti pro and r9-280X is rebranded a bit underclocked hd7970GHz aka tahiti xt.(+r7-265 is rebranded hd7850boost aka pitcairn pro).

I would say most of R9:s are mostly bought for coin maining, not really gaming...
          Well, I only knew that only the >=290 cards were new and was too lazy to look up which are which rebranded GPU.
          And as for the Cryptocoin stuff, there are better solutions than GPUs nowadays, so no serious miner would buy a GPU specifically for mining.

Comment

Originally posted by AMD
            With DirectX 12 games still over 18 months away and no alternatives in sight for Linux gamers, Mantle’s future looks bright.
            Sorry AMD, there is an alternative for Linux gamers. It's called nVidia + OpenGL. Let your Mantle rot until you decide to open it.

Comment

Originally posted by Debcool View Post
              I've been waiting since I got my HD4850...
              I've been waiting since I got my HD7850...
              ...and I am still waiting to see.

Then, I bought an nvidia gtx760 three month ago & guess what??
              I plugged it, I installed the blob driver (no real alternative currently) and since then... I can play, I can watch my movies properly and so on.
              I have a 6870 and it has been working fine for games since I installed it in my system, and video playback since the day when AMD released the UVD code. Using only open source drivers.

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
              And as for the Cryptocoin stuff, there are better solutions than GPUs nowadays, so no serious miner would buy a GPU specifically for mining.
              ASICs are mining most bitcoins nowadays, but for some cryptocurrencies, mining is still profitable with GPUs. Actually the demand for AMD GPUs is still dependent on bitcoin price, because many scrypt miners directly exchange their coins for bitcoins after mining.

Comment

Calm down

@wargames

That's it! Sadly

@everybody

Don't get wrong. In my previous post I was upset but I've just expressed my point of vue about the company, her "strategy" and her "Marketing".

To tell the truth, I don't even read any articles related to this company whatever the subject is. I just read the title... like I did today.

To make things clear, I wasn't talking about the dev. I still believe that those guys has always tried (and still try) to do their best to make things good.
                But I have huge doubts about the company giving them all the resources they really need to achieve their goal. That decision is obviously not in their hands.

Actualy, I think that the startegy of AMD has been "wait and see until this market will be juicy; Then, we'll rush in it".

It is the time, now...

If ever, Nvidia will be able to make good CPU and Intel to make more powerfull GPU... What will happen to you?

...Later would be too late.

Where is the AMD wich has created the "Athlon II" year's ago? Where is your ability to compete with Intel? What have you done of ATI?

This is only my point of view and it's based on my own experiences as a Linux distro's user for about ten years. Maybe the company complitely don't care of that but I am not the only one...

We all need a serious competitor in both CPU & GPU's area. So I repeat, stop talking before, be creative and innovative, make things real then talk about it.

I'll probably enjoy it if it happened. I wish you good luck.

A+
                Debcool
                Et si je poussais une longue plainte déchirante pudiquement masquée sous la morsure cinglante de mon humour ravageur?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                  [ ] you know the problems with opengl and why catalyst drivers were bad in the past (14.6 are definetly fine).
                  Still slower than Nvidia ones, 290 slower than older amd cards (even the 6870 is faster in some scenarios), but this is "definetly fine".

Comment

I have a 6870 and it has been working fine for games since I installed it in my system, and video playback since the day when AMD released the UVD code. Using only open source drivers.
                    Good for U.

Now, try to do it with an 4850 (rv770)
                    http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#4 Point 4 in "Footnotes"

I lend my 7850 to a friend (win user) since I've got my GTX760, so I can't tell.

Now, I'd rather prefer to use only FOSS, I mean it. But can you seriously telling me that today, if you want to play big titles with most of the options "enable", you can do that with an only FOSS system? I doubt it.

Don't worry ( :-) ), the day I found that my hardware could run nicely with only FOSS, I'll do it without any regrets of pushing away blob's drivers.

A+
                    Debcool
                    Et si je poussais une longue plainte déchirante pudiquement masquée sous la morsure cinglante de mon humour ravageur?

Comment

Nowhere does this say they're bringing mantle to linux

In fact, i read it pretty much the opposite way.

"With DirectX 12 games still over 18 months away and no alternatives in sight for Linux gamers, Mantle’s future looks bright."
                      In other words, DX12 isn't out yet, linux doesn't have anything, so you better get windows and use mantle.

Maybe they'll bring it to linux, but i wouldn't count on it and i certainly don't think that's what this guy was saying.

Comment

Working...
                      X