Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35-Way NVIDIA/AMD Proprietary Linux Graphics Driver Comparison

Phoronix: 35-Way NVIDIA/AMD Proprietary Linux Graphics Driver Comparison

Last week with Phoronix turning ten years old I celebrated by testing 65 different GPUs with the open-source Linux graphics drivers from Intel, AMD, and Nouveau. I also followed-up with power efficiency and thermal benchmarks from all of the graphics cards that played nicely on the latest open-source drivers. Today I'm following up with the next round of testing by checking out the proprietary NVIDIA and AMD Catalyst graphics drivers under Linux with 35 different graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Michael
    The most power hungry graphics card was the Radeon R9 290 with an average draw of 238 Watts and a peak of 356 Watts. The GeForce GTX 780 Ti came in with an average of 265 Watts and a max of 360 Watts.
    Sorry, I didn't get it :P

Well, it seems to me that you are bashing AMD a little, but overall I agree with you. Hopefully the open-source drivers will improve their performance even more!
    I can't wait the day when mesa will beat fglrx in most of the benchmarks

Comment

@michael why dont use 340.17 drivers?????

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
        @michael why dont use 340.17 drivers?????

Because this testing took over a week to do, the 340 driver was just released this week.....
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So it's not that grim anymore for AMD, as soon as you take the power consumption under consideration. Nice!

Comment

Awesome work! I really like new power consumption graphs.

When Valve releases Left4Dead 3, I hope it will become a good benchmark to really load modern GPUs. Until then Unigine Heaven is the test to look at. Simpler games just cap out at ~200 fps even on lower speced cards. Also it would be nice to see how GPUs work with anisotropy antialiasing enabled, because I don't play without them (4x minimum for both).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Because this testing took over a week to do, the 340 driver was just released this week.....
              Ok

Thanks for respond

But if you can try test wine with nvidia and amd hardware (thankfully you have amd/nvidia cards of various power/performance segments) with propietary driver, this test its really need and dont see on web

At least good test

Comment

Great work Michael! You've obviously put a lot of effort into making these huge comparisons, and the community really appreciates it. Hopefully these great reports will help phoronix attract more subscribers.

Comment

Originally posted by inhuman4 View Post
                  Great work Michael! You've obviously put a lot of effort into making these huge comparisons, and the community really appreciates it. Hopefully these great reports will help phoronix attract more subscribers.
                  Thanks. Sadly, the articles barely subtracted many new subscribers nor tips, so won't be doing such large comparisons regularly.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                    Sorry, I didn't get it :P

Well, it seems to me that you are bashing AMD a little, but overall I agree with you. Hopefully the open-source drivers will improve their performance even more!
                    I can't wait the day when mesa will beat fglrx in most of the benchmarks
                    OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Xonotic 1920x1080, Ultimate:
                    Model ----------- Open - Proprietary
                    Radeon HD 5450 8.43 14.27
                    Radeon HD 5770 69.92 88.03
                    Radeon HD 5830 94.33 96.56
                    Radeon HD 6450 16.50 19.54
                    Radeon HD 6570 35.81 47.28
                    Radeon HD 6770 69.59 89.56
                    Radeon HD 6870 110.96 104.94
                    Radeon HD 6950 119.75 122.32

This is very nice.
                    Last edited by brosis; 12 June 2014, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X