Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Releases Plasma-Next Beta 2

Phoronix: KDE Releases Plasma-Next Beta 2

One day past the third beta of KDE Frameworks 5, the second beta of the next-generation Plasma Workspace stack is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Again, this isn't "one day past", framework 5 beta 3 was released on June 5th. Actually, it looks like the sources were available June 1st, but the announcement only the announcement was released on June 5th.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: KDE Releases Plasma-Next Beta 2

One day past the third beta of KDE Frameworks 5, the second beta of the next-generation Plasma Workspace stack is now available...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcxNzE
      Here are some screenshots from the Visual Design Group:

It is coming together really nicely, I like the new streamlined design.

Comment

The new designs for System Settings are looking spectacular:

This is not a part of this Beta, though. It's work in progress that will take more time.

Comment

I like it a lot!!

Comment

The (latest) neon .iso fails to boot on Nvidia cards, just like Rebecca Black OS.

Comment

Wow

Wow... I have to say I am impressed. The screenshots posted here are unusually good. Is KDE getting better funding to make this happen? It looks too polished to come from a Linux DE... with the exception of Dolphin's photo-bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
                Wow... I have to say I am impressed. The screenshots posted here are unusually good. Is KDE getting better funding to make this happen? It looks too polished to come from a Linux DE... with the exception of Dolphin's photo-bomb.
                Well, Jens Reuterberg was hired to organize the Visual Design Group and get things rolling. I think he's going to be on for a year, and along with the other core members of the VDG he's trying to establish a self-guided community of design within KDE. It's going pretty well so far, but of course there could be more contributions, especially when it comes to people who would like to have a more active role in organizing the work.

If you or anyone you know are interested, please feel free to come by the Visual Design Group subforum and participate. http://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=285 Now, more than ever, KDE is relying on the community for future improvements. Also, if you know some C++, you can play a large part in realizing these designs.

Oh, and Dolphin (among other applications) are still using QWidget, which at present is relying on a QtCurve theme. I suspect it will look better when the Breeze QWidget style is available, but of course the layout and overall design of Dolphin could use some sprucing up as well.

Comment

Working...
                X