Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU/Linux media center hardware

Hi all,

This is the first time I have built a media center PC and I could use some tips on the hardware, I already bought the TV though:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Samsung-LE40F86BD/ (cant wait for delivery! )

This is the hardware for the actual media center I am looking at, not selected everything yet but here are the basics:

Motherboard Intel DG33BU uATX:

Chassis Antec Fusion Black 430:

Possible psu upgrade Antec EA 650:

Graphics card ATI Radeon HD 3650 512MB (not sure if it would fit the case though?):

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Haven't conisdered RAM or peripherals yet but it will be connected to a 500GB NAS box with gig lan running gentoo (which I already have).

As this is my first media pc, I really am not sure if what I have chosen here is totally appropriate. What I really want is to have Blue Ray capability but as this is a GNU/Linux box, thats going to be limited and a bit of a hassle. Also, is there likely to be problems fitting the graphics card in that box?

Your advise is welcome

Nobody knows anything about this subject?

Comment

That PSU is overkill the one that comes with the case should provide more then enough power as it is. The 3650 should fit as it isn't much longer then the PCIe slot to my knowledge. The main thing you need to think about it what CPU as it'll probably be doing most the grunt work but I think any Core 2 duo will have enough power for 1080p play back. (Not completely sure)

You can pretty much forget about Blu-ray for the foreseeable future due to the copy protection.

Comment

The sad thing is, you won't get HD video decoding acceleration from IGPs/graphics cards under linux. Thus you need a powerful CPU, whereas you would be able to build a completely fanless HTPC for that purpose… running Windows.

Comment

you can also do fanless with linux....

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
            you can also do fanless with linux....
            Yeah it's not to hard if you choose the parts carefully, although the need for a more powerful CPU does mean you might need a slightly larger heat sink.

Comment

an E8500 or E8400 should do the job nicely, with a scythe ninja heatsink.

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
                an E8500 or E8400 should do the job nicely, with a scythe ninja heatsink.
                The ninja won't fit in the intended case as it's 15cm tall and the case is only 13cm tall! (that's the total height not just the height for the heat sink...)

Comment

Since you're buying a separate graphics card, you might just as well choose a mobo without integrated graphics and save 30$. The equivalent to G33 without graphics is P35.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Since you're buying a separate graphics card, you might just as well choose a mobo without integrated graphics and save 30$. The equivalent to G33 without graphics is P35.
                    Oh very well spotted I had completely missed that point.

Comment

Working...
                    X