Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.13.2 Desktop Update Released

Phoronix: KDE 4.13.2 Desktop Update Released

The latest monthly point release update to KDE 4.13 is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will Fedora 20 update to 4.13? currently it's on 4.12

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, now I know my next 'sudo pacman -Syu' is going to take a while and shall plan accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        Thanks for the heads up, now I know my next 'sudo pacman -Syu' is going to take a while and shall plan accordingly.
        Haha you gotta move to "sudo yaourt -Syua".

But yes, every update of KDE is welcome. I appreciate that they're trying to polish the environment rather than add new features. We need something refined.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Haha you gotta move to "sudo yaourt -Syua".

But yes, every update of KDE is welcome. I appreciate that they're trying to polish the environment rather than add new features. We need something refined.
          I'm pretty sure they recommend not running yaourt with heightened privileges. It'll ask for your sudo password if it needs it.

The reason I don't update via yaourt is because I've got logitechmediaserver which tends to break frequently. Plus it takes ages to build on my machine (an old AMD Sempron 1100 le). In fact it's broken right now because pacman wouldn't upgrade due to a perl dependency in a recent update, perl wanted to go to 5.20 and logitechmediaserver needed <5.19. So I manually updated logitechmediaserver, and sure enough it's borked now. So one of my jobs tonight is removing and reinstalling it.

Such is the way of running Arch. But I do get a nice spangly new version of KDE every time it's released.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            I'm pretty sure they recommend not running yaourt with heightened privileges. It'll ask for your sudo password if it needs it.

The reason I don't update via yaourt is because I've got logitechmediaserver which tends to break frequently. Plus it takes ages to build on my machine (an old AMD Sempron 1100 le). In fact it's broken right now because pacman wouldn't upgrade due to a perl dependency in a recent update, perl wanted to go to 5.20 and logitechmediaserver needed <5.19. So I manually updated logitechmediaserver, and sure enough it's borked now. So one of my jobs tonight is removing and reinstalling it.

Such is the way of running Arch. But I do get a nice spangly new version of KDE every time it's released.
            When it comes automation, not using sudo with yaourt can be irritating at times. Unless you're in a high-security environment, you almost never have to worry about using sudo with yaourt. I could have sworn there was a version of yaourt that is pre-compiled. There is a repository for it. It rarely updates anyway.

Comment

Man, so many Archers here...

The KDE 4.13.2 point release contains almost 140 packages and 234MiB+, happy rolling ;-D

Comment

Don't bother

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                Will Fedora 20 update to 4.13? currently it's on 4.12
                Stick on 4.12 until all the many bugs have been ironed out in that dung heap called Baloo. Stupid decision to swap out nepomuk while still on KDE 4, should have waited unit KDE 5

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
                  Stick on 4.12 until all the many bugs have been ironed out in that dung heap called Baloo. Stupid decision to swap out nepomuk while still on KDE 4, should have waited unit KDE 5
                  So that when everyone switched to KDE5 and complained it was broken and everybody should keep using KDE4? Sounds like a good way to make sure people think KDE5 sucks for the next 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                    So that when everyone switched to KDE5 and complained it was broken and everybody should keep using KDE4? Sounds like a good way to make sure people think KDE5 sucks for the next 10 years.

What you mean like the way KDE 4 stank for about 3 years before it reached maturity ?

By the way the last KDE 4 release will be an LT release which gives time to road test KDE 5, iron out bugs and then switch for everyday use thus avoiding the KDE 4.0 debacle.

Comment

Working...
                    X