Mozilla Firefox 30 Binaries Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marazmista View Post
    Still can't move address bar or menu icon. Wonder where are these ui improvements...
    You can move all the buttons and the search bar past the address bar, so not being able to move the address bar has no real impact other than sometimes making moving stuff around take longer.
    Last edited by TheBlackCat; 10 June 2014, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      And no, moving to gtk3 isn't that big of a deal because (1) moving to gtk3 has been in the works for a long time and still no end in sight and (2) gtk3 itself isn't fully ported to Wayland. Working on Wayland is one thing, and working well and supporting all the Wayland features is another thing.
      Gtk3 hasn't implemented DND for Wayland yet and has other unsolved issues which could be finished by Wayland 1.6 and only after this can Firefox start to seriously think of moving to gtk3 to support Wayland after that.
      Besides that GTK in Firefox is used only for theming. Firefox has its own toolkit XUL and that is far more important to get support for Wayland.

Robert Kaiser (:[email protected]) 2012-04-05 10:10:26 PDT
      Mozilla stuff is not a "gtk application", we only use GTK for a few specific things like getting the theming of our XUL widgets right. Our work to remove direct usages of X Bitmaps and go for GL for everything is way more relevant to potentially running on Wayland than any GTK stuff is.
      Take a look at that bug report: Bug 635134 - Make Firefox work as well with Wayland (without X) as with just X

Notice the "Depends on" section which lists all the bugs that need to be resolved for Wayland support in Firefox.

Bug 720523 - Use cairo image surfaces with OpenGL layers on linux
      Bug 1015218 - Use Cairo image surfaces and XShmPutImage instead of XRender on GTK/Linux OMTC basic
      Bug 788319 - Consider using EGL instead of GLX with Mesa drivers

On top of that those bugs have other bugs which need to be resolved so it is a long or even a very long way until Firefox will support Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        You can move all the buttons and the search bar past the address bar, so not being able to move the address bar has no real impact other than sometimes making moving stuff around take longer.
        Yea, I know, but pre FF29 I had search bar and address bar next to tabs (like IE), and now only search bar can go there. No big deal of course, but there is sort of bad taste about new interface.

Comment

I just updated. Too bad, the official Mozilla build is still using gstreamer 0.10. The only change is potential to enable gstreamer 1.0 at build time. But one will have to build it manually (or use distro packages configured against gstreamer 1.0).

Switching to GTK 3 has one thorny issue, namely plugins which are stuck with GTK 2. Hopefully projects like Mozilla Shumway will catch up.
          Last edited by shmerl; 10 June 2014, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Well, gstreamer-1.0 build seems to work fine here (tested on youtube) and guess what, it will use VAAPI for video decoding if the corresponding plugin is installed! I do have one really anoying issue. Restoring tabs from previous session doesn't work anymore. It only opens my home page. Not sure if my old profile is problematic or not, but I don't want to lose my preferences and what not.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              I just updated. Too bad, the official Mozilla build is still using gstreamer 0.10. The only change is potential to enable gstreamer 1.0 at build time. But one will have to build it manually (or use distro packages configured against gstreamer 1.0).

Switching to GTK 3 has one thorny issue, namely plugins which are stuck with GTK 2. Hopefully projects like Mozilla Shumway will catch up.
              Wasn't flash the main issue??

While it pains me knowing that mozilla doesn't care much about linux i understand them.

Comment

Yes, Flash is one of the main things which can't be migrated to GTK 3. So that's why Shumway can help (if it will mature enough). See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627699

And adding Wayland to the mix, even if one will be able to run Flash alongside GTK 3 based Firefox in a separate process, it won't play well with Wayland without some ugly hacks. Flash really should die out already, but replacements should be adequate (and Shumway is not ready yet).
                Last edited by shmerl; 10 June 2014, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  Yes, Flash is one of the main things which can't be migrated to GTK 3. So that's why Shumway can help (if it will mature enough). See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627699

And adding Wayland to the mix, even if one will be able to run Flash alongside GTK 3 based Firefox in a separate process, it won't play well with Wayland without some ugly hacks. Flash really should die out already, but replacements should be adequate (and Shumway is not ready yet).
                  Most stuff i use work with html5 so i don't care about flash. However flash games and other shit will be a problem for those who like/use them. Add to that the fact that linux isn't a platform many people care about and -> we have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by marazmista View Post
                    Yea, I know, but pre FF29 I had search bar and address bar next to tabs (like IE), and now only search bar can go there. No big deal of course, but there is sort of bad taste about new interface.
                    They removed the ability to use 2 search engines at once many versions ago. I don't know why that search bar still exists at all since the address bar performs the same thing. The best you can do is removing the search bar, not moving it somewhere else.

Comment

I'm using Fedora 20 and Web Audio that uses MP3 files have stopped working completely. I also lost the 720p option in every YouTube video that had it. Did anyone else have these issues?

Comment

Working...
                      X