Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Mozilla Firefox 30 Binaries Now Available

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by abral View Post
    Wayland and GStreamer are two completely different things.
    What a useless statement.

    I know they're different and didn't say or imply otherwise, in fact it's more difficult to support Wayland than gst 1.0.

    Quote Originally Posted by abral View Post
    Firefox is moving to gtk3, and with this transition it should be easy to support Wayland.
    And no, moving to gtk3 isn't that big of a deal because (1) moving to gtk3 has been in the works for a long time and still no end in sight and (2) gtk3 itself isn't fully ported to Wayland. Working on Wayland is one thing, and working well and supporting all the Wayland features is another thing.
    Gtk3 hasn't implemented DND for Wayland yet and has other unsolved issues which could be finished by Wayland 1.6 and only after this can Firefox start to seriously think of moving to gtk3 to support Wayland after that.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marazmista View Post
    Still can't move address bar or menu icon. Wonder where are these ui improvements...
    You can move all the buttons and the search bar past the address bar, so not being able to move the address bar has no real impact other than sometimes making moving stuff around take longer.
    Last edited by TheBlackCat; 06-10-2014 at 09:58 AM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mark45 View Post
    And no, moving to gtk3 isn't that big of a deal because (1) moving to gtk3 has been in the works for a long time and still no end in sight and (2) gtk3 itself isn't fully ported to Wayland. Working on Wayland is one thing, and working well and supporting all the Wayland features is another thing.
    Gtk3 hasn't implemented DND for Wayland yet and has other unsolved issues which could be finished by Wayland 1.6 and only after this can Firefox start to seriously think of moving to gtk3 to support Wayland after that.
    Besides that GTK in Firefox is used only for theming. Firefox has its own toolkit XUL and that is far more important to get support for Wayland.

    Robert Kaiser (:kairo@mozilla.com) 2012-04-05 10:10:26 PDT
    Mozilla stuff is not a "gtk application", we only use GTK for a few specific things like getting the theming of our XUL widgets right. Our work to remove direct usages of X Bitmaps and go for GL for everything is way more relevant to potentially running on Wayland than any GTK stuff is.
    Take a look at that bug report: Bug 635134 - Make Firefox work as well with Wayland (without X) as with just X

    Notice the "Depends on" section which lists all the bugs that need to be resolved for Wayland support in Firefox.

    Bug 720523 - Use cairo image surfaces with OpenGL layers on linux
    Bug 1015218 - Use Cairo image surfaces and XShmPutImage instead of XRender on GTK/Linux OMTC basic
    Bug 788319 - Consider using EGL instead of GLX with Mesa drivers

    On top of that those bugs have other bugs which need to be resolved so it is a long or even a very long way until Firefox will support Wayland.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    You can move all the buttons and the search bar past the address bar, so not being able to move the address bar has no real impact other than sometimes making moving stuff around take longer.
    Yea, I know, but pre FF29 I had search bar and address bar next to tabs (like IE), and now only search bar can go there. No big deal of course, but there is sort of bad taste about new interface.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    359

    Default

    I just updated. Too bad, the official Mozilla build is still using gstreamer 0.10. The only change is potential to enable gstreamer 1.0 at build time. But one will have to build it manually (or use distro packages configured against gstreamer 1.0).

    Switching to GTK 3 has one thorny issue, namely plugins which are stuck with GTK 2. Hopefully projects like Mozilla Shumway will catch up.
    Last edited by shmerl; 06-10-2014 at 01:12 PM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Well, gstreamer-1.0 build seems to work fine here (tested on youtube) and guess what, it will use VAAPI for video decoding if the corresponding plugin is installed! I do have one really anoying issue. Restoring tabs from previous session doesn't work anymore. It only opens my home page. Not sure if my old profile is problematic or not, but I don't want to lose my preferences and what not.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
    I just updated. Too bad, the official Mozilla build is still using gstreamer 0.10. The only change is potential to enable gstreamer 1.0 at build time. But one will have to build it manually (or use distro packages configured against gstreamer 1.0).

    Switching to GTK 3 has one thorny issue, namely plugins which are stuck with GTK 2. Hopefully projects like Mozilla Shumway will catch up.
    Wasn't flash the main issue??

    While it pains me knowing that mozilla doesn't care much about linux i understand them.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Yes, Flash is one of the main things which can't be migrated to GTK 3. So that's why Shumway can help (if it will mature enough). See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627699

    And adding Wayland to the mix, even if one will be able to run Flash alongside GTK 3 based Firefox in a separate process, it won't play well with Wayland without some ugly hacks. Flash really should die out already, but replacements should be adequate (and Shumway is not ready yet).
    Last edited by shmerl; 06-10-2014 at 02:55 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
    Yes, Flash is one of the main things which can't be migrated to GTK 3. So that's why Shumway can help (if it will mature enough). See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627699

    And adding Wayland to the mix, even if one will be able to run Flash alongside GTK 3 based Firefox in a separate process, it won't play well with Wayland without some ugly hacks. Flash really should die out already, but replacements should be adequate (and Shumway is not ready yet).
    Most stuff i use work with html5 so i don't care about flash. However flash games and other shit will be a problem for those who like/use them. Add to that the fact that linux isn't a platform many people care about and -> we have a problem.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marazmista View Post
    Yea, I know, but pre FF29 I had search bar and address bar next to tabs (like IE), and now only search bar can go there. No big deal of course, but there is sort of bad taste about new interface.
    They removed the ability to use 2 search engines at once many versions ago. I don't know why that search bar still exists at all since the address bar performs the same thing. The best you can do is removing the search bar, not moving it somewhere else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •