Thread: F2FS Gets Enhanced For The Linux 3.16 Kernel

Default F2FS Gets Enhanced For The Linux 3.16 Kernel

Phoronix: F2FS Gets Enhanced For The Linux 3.16 Kernel

Samsung has sent in their F2FS pull request for the Linux 3.16 to provide a number of enhancements for the Flash Friendly File-System...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcxNTE

When will it get a stable release?

Quote Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
    When will it get a stable release?
    F2fs? It's been included since kernel 3.8, Motorola has been using it on their android Moto phones for almost a year, so it is considered stable.
    Kernel 3.16 stable will be released in about 5-7 weeks.

Wikipedia claims it's not stable officially yet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F2FS
    I'm quite interested in formatting all my flash drives with it, if it's indeed in usable state. Does Windows include drivers for it? One of the pain points in using something better than FAT32 is that all Windows machines simply wouldn't read it.

Windows drivers are under development but won't be available until the codebase is stable. That being said, it would really really really benefit Samsung to roll F2FS out to all of it's products, particularly their Blu-Ray players and SmartTVs, where it would be invaluable for media playback. If Microsoft and Sony also adopted it for their consoles, it would be a big leap forward in improving media playback capabilities due to large file support.

I'll also add my two cents that it is a good performing filesystem on flash media from personal experience. Because, ya know, that's one of the main criteria for wanting to use such a filesystem. Like, good enough to run Gentoo from a crappy compactflash card and not tear your hair out during a portage update.

Default f2fs-fsck

My experience is: F2FS is very stable if and only if it's always (!) unmounted clearly. If not (i.e. if you unplug the flash card without unmounting first), the FS soon gets corrupted, and f2fs.fsck is mostly not capable of repairing it.

Quote Originally Posted by jpuhr View Post
    and f2fs.fsck is mostly not capable of repairing it.
    fsck.f2fs

Code:
    sudo fsck /dev/mmcblk0p5
    fsck from util-linux 2.24.2
    Info: sector size = 512
    Info: total sectors = 30926848 (in 512bytes)

Assertion failed!
    [fsck_chk_dentry_blk: 549] le32_to_cpu(de_blk->dentry[i].hash_code) == hash_code

Quote Originally Posted by jpuhr View Post
    My experience is: F2FS is very stable ... the FS soon gets corrupted, and f2fs.fsck is mostly not capable of repairing it.
    That's why it's not called stable