Don't Forget NVIDIA Is Dropping Pre-Fermi From Mainline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by md1032 View Post
    He confused the EOL date for Windows with the Linux one. Here's the Windows one: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3473
    April 1 . He also missed that will happen on The First Day of Aprililili

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Nouveau is their, because users write it for their and not for mine cards . Obviosly nouveau(_vieux) is not for any other cards but nVidia .
      Nouveau is not from nVidia. So far, they are only supplying patches for the Tegra K1. It's like saying, 'thank you' to Red Hat and some other nouveau contributers for providing the majority base work and adding a small layer for the (non PCI based) Tegra.

Look here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTU4OTg

Again, nouveau is not from nVidia. nv was their (now discontinued) driver.

Comment

I've got a 280 lying around somewhere. I played Crysis 2 on it at 1200p. And it's in the legacy pot. Wow, just wow...

Comment

Still using my EN460GTX Love the card. It beast easily all 560 and there is no much gain against the 660gtx

So my next upgrade if i ever tend to do would be atleast 760gtx or equal.

Might try also AMD if its cheaper and they have fixed the tearing/flickering from video playback.

Comment

Originally posted by Dehir View Post
            Still using my EN460GTX Love the card. It beast easily all 560 and there is no much gain against the 660gtx

So my next upgrade if i ever tend to do would be atleast 760gtx or equal.

Might try also AMD if its cheaper and they have fixed the tearing/flickering from video playback.
            AMD isn't really cheaper, except for very high end cards – and these ones are noisy and hot.

Comment

That's actually an area where windows is better. If your card is dropped, nothing will prevent you from running on the same drivers for a long time (i.e. years) but on linux, due to the way the drivers are tied to the kernel it is not that easy. Sure, you can switch to open drivers, but in some situations (as here with Nvidia) that's not always such a good choice...

Comment

Drivers situation in Linux is 100% mess..

You have Nvidia that supports drivers with the same quality as Windows but as proprietary you never know when this support will end. Still absolutely the perfect choice right now for serious gaming.

You have AMD that supports only 5000 series and above (with adequate drivers) leaving the rest with TRAGIC opensource drivers that massively lack features, performance and graphics usually are wreck.

Finally you have Intel with the best drivers solution but the worst GPUs...

I have an HTPC with a RV630 (Radeon 2600 PRO) and after 2 years of hopes (from Xubuntu 11.10), yesterday I installed Windows 7 again. I have GPU again... I can play 1080p light games like Portal, HL2, FM2014 and I can stream games from my Desktop like Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider without problems.

My RV630 is 8 years old and in Linux (latest Mesa/Kernel), drivers are worst than the Windows 95 drivers.. In most games I have flickering, missing textures etc and performance wise, not even 20% of the Windows 13.9 Catalyst.
                Last edited by verde; 09 June 2014, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post

You have Nvidia that supports drivers with the same quality as Windows but as proprietary you never know when this support will end.
                  That's bullshit. In fact you know EXACTLY when the support for each branch will end. For example the 304 legacy branch will be supported until 2017. So that's 10 years of support for these kind of cards.

Comment

GeForce 6 series was released in 2004, GeForce 7 series 2005/2006. Support ends in 2017, thats 13 years for GeForce 6 and 12/11 years for GeForce 7.

GeForce 8 series was released in 2006/2007, supported until 2019. Thats another 13/12 years for reliable, dependable rock solid support. GeForce 9 series was released 2008, 11 years of support. GeForce 200 series, 2008 for the GT200, 2009 for the rest of the series, 11/10 years of support.

AMD driver support is pure garbage, not even 2 years and they've dropped Windows 8 support already. You can't rely or depend on AMD at all.

Yet stupid people slam Nvidia for no good reasons. The double standards is just unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post

You have Nvidia that supports drivers with the same quality as Windows but as proprietary you never know when this support will end. Still absolutely the perfect choice right now for serious gaming.

You have AMD that supports only 5000 series and above (with adequate drivers) leaving the rest with TRAGIC opensource drivers that massively lack features, performance and graphics usually are wreck.

Finally you have Intel with the best drivers solution but the worst GPUs...

I have an HTPC with a RV630 (Radeon 2600 PRO) and after 2 years of hopes (from Xubuntu 11.10), yesterday I installed Windows 7 again. I have GPU again... I can play 1080p light games like Portal, HL2, FM2014 and I can stream games from my Desktop like Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider without problems.

My RV630 is 8 years old and in Linux (latest Mesa/Kernel), drivers are worst than the Windows 95 drivers.. In most games I have flickering, missing textures etc and performance wise, not even 20% of the Windows 13.9 Catalyst.
                      nvidia dropping support means moving that GPU to legacy driver which is then maintained for a long time. only difference is that no new features happen there.

and if you plan still using that GPU after 2019, yea... you're screwed

Comment

Working...
                      X