Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
    Because there are none?
    I should say they don't support Nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      I should say they don't support Nouveau.
      No, they don't fully support Nouveau, but it looks like they are starting to change that attitude slightly... especially when it comes to their ARM parts (which are now based on Kepler/Maxwell and can run on Nouveau).

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
        No, they don't fully support Nouveau, but it looks like they are starting to change that attitude slightly... especially when it comes to their ARM parts (which are now based on Kepler/Maxwell and can run on Nouveau).
        Yes in 20 years maybe nouveau will have 40% of proprietary driver quality. Hopeless... Lets hope that Nvidia will keep provide excellent proprietary support.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
          They are dropping the legacy support very early now.
          I have a Geforce 4 and it was supported till uUbuntu 12.04 (for over 10 years).
          Still better than AMD(ATI). They dropped 4XXX support after c. 2y.

On the plus side with both of them mixing old GPUs w/new GPUs in "new" product lines that'll likely mean more than 2y of support, although I suspect in nVidia's case that they just wanted to dump all the crufty code to support VERY old GPUs out of the current drivers.

So my 4850 mobility is left with POS crapalyst 12.<whatever it was> in which I got to keep all of the bugs(never fixed), the new bugs added, crap video playback, and rendering path borkeness(as in the driver enters a rrace condition or something when trying to render in some specific situations, does this under windows as well) meanwhile your "old" nVidia drivers will be in pretty good shape comparatively speaking. The only problem will be when new interfaces for display engines, e.g. under linux are needed, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if nVidia didn't perhaps cough up special releases for at least some of the older cards(i.e. more "recent" dropped ones).

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            LOL!!!
            Maybe that's why I use the binary blob.
            But yeah, nvidia has nothing to do with Nouveau open source driver. If I was going to get a card on the point of open source I would have gone with ATi anyway...

Originally posted by Dehir View Post
            Still using my EN460GTX Love the card. It beast easily all 560 and there is no much gain against the 660gtx

So my next upgrade if i ever tend to do would be atleast 760gtx or equal.

Might try also AMD if its cheaper and they have fixed the tearing/flickering from video playback.
            For this reason I went from a 460 GTX straight to a 780 GTX. And you know what? STILL very little gain. Most games are crappy ports from console anyway so what to expect. I'm talking about windows games here too where I would expect them to SCREAM on the 780... but nup... I feel like it's almost like the old card pretty much in every game. Same games are so badly ported that they are choppy even on the 780... And that's saying something.

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
              So my 4850 mobility is left with POS crapalyst 12.<whatever it was> in which I got to keep all of the bugs(never fixed), the new bugs added, crap video playback, and rendering path borkeness(as in the driver enters a rrace condition or something when trying to render in some specific situations, does this under windows as well) meanwhile your "old" nVidia drivers will be in pretty good shape comparatively speaking. The only problem will be when new interfaces for display engines, e.g. under linux are needed, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if nVidia didn't perhaps cough up special releases for at least some of the older cards(i.e. more "recent" dropped ones).
              Mobility hd4650 / hd5850 / X300 here, working fine with radeon opensource.

Comment

Because I still use them for testing...

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                  Yes in 20 years maybe nouveau will have 40% of proprietary driver quality. Hopeless... Lets hope that Nvidia will keep provide excellent proprietary support.
                  I don't get this weird attitude and quite frankly, it's been lasting for a pretty long time. All they [the Nouveau folks] are doing is checking out how the blob modifies the memory (disassembling is, read, ILLEGAL in notable countries and the approach for both projects is too diverse). Upstream helps them with some things, but that's it. You're _never_ going to see a driver that's equal with the manufacturer's binary version with that, and if you don't like it, then forget about it and don't use it.

These are about the same people who would be complaining about nv not containing any 3D acceleration code, and that the open-source community is very unsatisfactory for not being able to provide their own version. So now that we have one you're complaining that, well, it needs to be better, else it's crap?

Comment

Working...
                  X