Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Valve Funds Glassy Mesa Development For Better Driver Performance

Quote Originally Posted by kpedersen View Post
    4 Reasons why you should learn a bit more about how DRM sucks before sounding naive.

1) Downloading a .flac file would allow you to copy it to a CD-ROM and run it on a separate offline computer Steam games do not allow this because their executables check against the Steam service which needs authentication online before it runs the game.

2) After reformatting your existing computer (you have done this before right?), your .flac file would still work without requiring you to contect Steams servers for "reactivation". Steam games do not allow this. You will need to contact Steam's servers for "reactivation".

3) If / when Steams servers go down, running a .flac file would be no issue because it does not contain DRM. Steam games however do contain DRM and require reactivation. Any reactivation is going to be hard if Steams servers are down.

4) Offline mode for .flac files will always work because they do not require an internet connection to authenticate. Offline mode for steam games is not a solution because people occasionally have to reformat their computer (or do not put gaming machines online) thus Offline mode cannot be enabled because this would circumvent Steams DRM.

If people do not understand how DRM works and what constitutes DRM, then they are part of the problem and not the solution. This means, like the DRM providers, they should also be shot.
    I've done all of these things, backed up the tracking cookie, Steam didn't care that I was using a different comp.

Your complaints are much ado about nothing, Valve has already stated that in the unlikely event of them going out of buisness they will kill the need to log in. Valve is not Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    Valve is indeed rocking, one of the few companies that is contributing to the world and needs our support.
    They don't contribute as much as they should; they don't need your support either.

I don't think Valve provides statistics, or indeed searchability or even a mention on whether Steam itself is required. The only games where I've heard of that option being chosen have been small indie ones. That would point to something like 99.5% of Steam games requiring it.

Quote Originally Posted by kringel View Post
    What sucks about not owning the copy entirely is sometimes forced auto-updates ("update required"). Example from the Windows world: People who would love to play an older version of Half-Life 2, e.g. from the physical copy they bought. There are some reasons to want this, but legally it is impossible. Or sometimes games get new features or updates can break something. That's a point against Steam, I agree.
    You are aware that you can disable updates on a per game level in Steam?

Quote Originally Posted by stqn View Post
    Unfortunately the games descriptions never mention if they require Steam or not. Iíve never seen it anyway. And I think many games with achievements and most games with multiplayer doÖ

That being said Iím not on a crusade against Steam. Itís fairly unobtrusive DRM (if it is), still works when the net is down (at least it did when I lost my internet for 2 weeks recently). I buy DRM-free games (i.e. Humble Store) when I can, but Steam is convenient and my life does not depend on being able to play every single one of the 130 games in my library .
    Here you go. Saddly Steam doesn't supply a list but the community collected one.
    http://www.gog.com/forum/general/lis...games_on_steam

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    I don't think Valve provides statistics, or indeed searchability or even a mention on whether Steam itself is required. The only games where I've heard of that option being chosen have been small indie ones. That would point to something like 99.5% of Steam games requiring it.
    Here a list, if you fee like counting, but from a quick look it look more like at least 5% don't require steam. http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    You are aware that you can disable updates on a per game level in Steam?
    On top of that Half-Life 2 is actually one of the game that can be run without Steam client, so you likely to find older version of the file around somewhere, just no idea why anyone would want to play an older version of Half-Life 2, it a single player game, single player game patch are mostly bug fix (so I am maybe seeing one reason now, speedrunner who can no longer exploit a glitch they used to cut time), unlike multiplayer game, where patching are likely to include gameplay change, as they try to balance the game.

Cant believe all the Valve hate here. Any improvement to linux is a great thing, even if Valve does it for financial reasons. Their interests happen to match your own, so be glad. Microsoft right now wants Xbox One to be successful as well as Windows, but gaming is bigger on PC than Xbone. They can't support one without losing the other. Microsoft don't care, they just want you to buy the latest Windows.

Without Valve, OpenGL might even die in the long run with people moving to dx12, metal, mantle etc.
    I'm curious about OpenGL5 and how khronos will react to the new apis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivada View Post
    Valve has already stated that in the unlikely event of them going out of buisness they will kill the need to log in
    It is daft and naive to believe this. A company which has gone out of business does not have money to fund developers to update software (i.e Steam). A company which has gone out of business also has no money to host that patched version of the software (i.e Steam).

Not to mention the fact that many companies distributing their games on Steam will not give permission to Valve to release their game DRM free.

Quote Originally Posted by mike4 View Post
    Without Valve, OpenGL might even die in the long run with people moving to dx12, metal, mantle.
    OpenGL has survived long enough without Valve haha. The "predicted" death of OpenGL is not a new thing and just as before, those giving the predictions were wrong. WebGL for one is pretty much the latest "trendy" thing. It isnt going anywhere.

Honestly, I do not hate Valve. I think I hate people who accept DRM though :/
    Last edited by kpedersen; 06-08-2014 at 12:27 PM.