Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Funds Glassy Mesa Development For Better Driver Performance

Phoronix: Valve Funds Glassy Mesa Development For Better Driver Performance

Valve has funded work by LunarG on a project codenamed "Glassy Mesa" to deliver potential performance improvements on the open-source Mesa graphics driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'll buy the shit out of Valve games if they continue to fund Mesa development like this. Albeit, this looks mostly like experimental work. I also wonder how this works with AMD, who already have the radeonSI shader code in llvm.

Comment

Ah Valve. You're some of my favourite people.

Comment

Valve Rocks!

Valve is indeed rocking, one of the few companies that is contributing to the world and needs our support.

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
          Valve is indeed rocking, one of the few companies that is contributing to the world and needs our support.
          Valve is cool, but contribution which we all can benefit from is only a side effect of their new business which SteamOS is going to be. Remember how much they take from work already done in Linux world and compare it to how much they give back. Suddenly their contributions are not looking that impressive anymore.

However, I'm glad they are here obviously and as a fan of mesa this project sounds awesome

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
            Remember how much they take from work already done in Linux world and compare it to how much they give back. Suddenly their contributions are not looking that impressive anymore.
            I pretty sure they didn't get any real profit from releasing SteamOS for now. Might be you know any other game development company that contributed into Linux open source drivers that much?

Comment

As i know intel will not use that . So this is only an experiment, if and only if Valve decide to use it .

Comment

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
                I pretty sure they didn't get any real profit from releasing SteamOS for now. Might be you know any other game development company that contributed into Linux open source drivers that much?
                Loki games?

In all seriousness, this is a pretty long-term investment, and I'm glad that valve seems to be sufficiently profitable to be able to do this and survive

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  As i know intel will not use that .
                  Why do you think so?
                  Intel only was against using LLVM inside their own driver when these optimizations done before driver get the shader.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                    I'll buy the shit out of Valve games if they continue to fund Mesa development like this. Albeit, this looks mostly like experimental work. I also wonder how this works with AMD, who already have the radeonSI shader code in llvm.
                    If Valve products didn't violate two separate policies regarding software on my system, I'd buy the shit out of Valve games too.

(I have a strict "No DRM, no piracy" policy (A.K.A. "must own what I pay for, must not implicitly endorse what I shun") and the Steam client runs up against the policy that the only non-games that are allowed to be closed source are the grandfathered-in BIOS, nVidia drivers, Flash, Skype, and Opera 12.x)

Comment

Working...
                    X