Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Valve Funds Glassy Mesa Development For Better Driver Performance

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,649

    Default Valve Funds Glassy Mesa Development For Better Driver Performance

    Phoronix: Valve Funds Glassy Mesa Development For Better Driver Performance

    Valve has funded work by LunarG on a project codenamed "Glassy Mesa" to deliver potential performance improvements on the open-source Mesa graphics driver stack...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcxMzk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    586

    Default

    I'll buy the shit out of Valve games if they continue to fund Mesa development like this. Albeit, this looks mostly like experimental work. I also wonder how this works with AMD, who already have the radeonSI shader code in llvm.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    204

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by zanny View Post
    Albeit, this looks mostly like experimental work. I also wonder how this works with AMD, who already have the radeonSI shader code in llvm.
    If I remember correctly radeonsi llvm backend (like Vadim's SB) runs in final step to schedule GPU instructions and represent stuff to the GPU. All GlassyMesa magic happens before Gallium TGSI IR stage.



    Nice work Valve

  4. #4

    Default

    Ah Valve. You're some of my favourite people.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    210

    Default Valve Rocks!

    Valve is indeed rocking, one of the few companies that is contributing to the world and needs our support.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    Valve is indeed rocking, one of the few companies that is contributing to the world and needs our support.
    Valve is cool, but contribution which we all can benefit from is only a side effect of their new business which SteamOS is going to be. Remember how much they take from work already done in Linux world and compare it to how much they give back. Suddenly their contributions are not looking that impressive anymore.

    However, I'm glad they are here obviously and as a fan of mesa this project sounds awesome

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    Valve is indeed rocking, one of the few companies that is contributing to the world and needs our support.
    They don't contribute as much as they should; they don't need your support either.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zanny View Post
    I'll buy the shit out of Valve games if they continue to fund Mesa development like this. Albeit, this looks mostly like experimental work. I also wonder how this works with AMD, who already have the radeonSI shader code in llvm.
    If Valve products didn't violate two separate policies regarding software on my system, I'd buy the shit out of Valve games too.

    (I have a strict "No DRM, no piracy" policy (A.K.A. "must own what I pay for, must not implicitly endorse what I shun") and the Steam client runs up against the policy that the only non-games that are allowed to be closed source are the grandfathered-in BIOS, nVidia drivers, Flash, Skype, and Opera 12.x)

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ssokolow View Post
    If Valve products didn't violate two separate policies regarding software on my system, I'd buy the shit out of Valve games too.

    (I have a strict "No DRM, no piracy" policy (A.K.A. "must own what I pay for, must not implicitly endorse what I shun") and the Steam client runs up against the policy that the only non-games that are allowed to be closed source are the grandfathered-in BIOS, nVidia drivers, Flash, Skype, and Opera 12.x)
    And yet you guys fail to see where Steam isn't using a DRM scheme that violates a damn thing. Getting your games through steam is like buying direct download .flac files from bandcamp.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15

    Default

    I noticed that quite a percentage of my Linux games on Steam don't use DRM at all. Example: Kentucky Route Zero. The Steam version (in that regard) is the same version as the DRM-free Humble Widget/Store version. While no Steam running at all I can run the binary from the folder (.../SteamApps/common/Kentucky...) just perfeclty fine. There's a list somewhere about all games that do not use DRM (that is: you have to run an instance of Steam) at all. Wikipedia or somewhere.

    That should be fine for the folks who want to avoid any "DRM" at all. However Steam's DRM doesn't have to do anything with DRM as from mp3s, video steaming, Microsoft etc.

    What sucks about not owning the copy entirely is sometimes forced auto-updates ("update required"). Example from the Windows world: People who would love to play an older version of Half-Life 2, e.g. from the physical copy they bought. There are some reasons to want this, but legally it is impossible. Or sometimes games get new features or updates can break something. That's a point against Steam, I agree.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •