Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Valve Funds Glassy Mesa Development For Better Driver Performance

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,391

    Default Valve Funds Glassy Mesa Development For Better Driver Performance

    Phoronix: Valve Funds Glassy Mesa Development For Better Driver Performance

    Valve has funded work by LunarG on a project codenamed "Glassy Mesa" to deliver potential performance improvements on the open-source Mesa graphics driver stack...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcxMzk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    I'll buy the shit out of Valve games if they continue to fund Mesa development like this. Albeit, this looks mostly like experimental work. I also wonder how this works with AMD, who already have the radeonSI shader code in llvm.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    198

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by zanny View Post
    Albeit, this looks mostly like experimental work. I also wonder how this works with AMD, who already have the radeonSI shader code in llvm.
    If I remember correctly radeonsi llvm backend (like Vadim's SB) runs in final step to schedule GPU instructions and represent stuff to the GPU. All GlassyMesa magic happens before Gallium TGSI IR stage.



    Nice work Valve

  4. #4

    Default

    Ah Valve. You're some of my favourite people.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    198

    Default Valve Rocks!

    Valve is indeed rocking, one of the few companies that is contributing to the world and needs our support.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    Valve is indeed rocking, one of the few companies that is contributing to the world and needs our support.
    Valve is cool, but contribution which we all can benefit from is only a side effect of their new business which SteamOS is going to be. Remember how much they take from work already done in Linux world and compare it to how much they give back. Suddenly their contributions are not looking that impressive anymore.

    However, I'm glad they are here obviously and as a fan of mesa this project sounds awesome

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gutigen View Post
    Remember how much they take from work already done in Linux world and compare it to how much they give back. Suddenly their contributions are not looking that impressive anymore.
    I pretty sure they didn't get any real profit from releasing SteamOS for now. Might be you know any other game development company that contributed into Linux open source drivers that much?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,226

    Default

    As i know intel will not use that . So this is only an experiment, if and only if Valve decide to use it .

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    542

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by _SXX_ View Post
    I pretty sure they didn't get any real profit from releasing SteamOS for now. Might be you know any other game development company that contributed into Linux open source drivers that much?
    Loki games?

    In all seriousness, this is a pretty long-term investment, and I'm glad that valve seems to be sufficiently profitable to be able to do this and survive

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dungeon View Post
    As i know intel will not use that .
    Why do you think so?
    Intel only was against using LLVM inside their own driver when these optimizations done before driver get the shader.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •