The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Is Coming To SteamOS, Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _SXX_ View Post
    First of all they might left fallback for D3D9. Also you missing fact that Direct3D 11 have "feature levels" available and they might deploy it with feature level of D3D9.

So I doubt it's good idea to think it's not going to use Wine/eON/etc until there is no official confirmation this will be native game with OpenGL renderer.
    They said several times in the past that they use features which are simply not available in DX9. Such as tessellation for example.

Comment

The Witcher 3 will be native this time?

I'm not buying it unless it's native.

Fuck eON.
      Last edited by ihatemichael; 08 June 2014, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        They said several times in the past that they use features which are simply not available in DX9. Such as tessellation for example.
        Tesselation it's always optional feature due to it's nature.

Comment

See http://www.dsogaming.com/interviews/...-illumination/

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
            The Witcher 3 will be native this time?
            I'm not buying it unless it's native.
            Fuck eON.
            They did not mention yet, they kinda leave it on Valve only to announce it, I guess because they just had their gog.com conference and that would be stealing their thunder, or whatever.
            We'll have more info when an **official* announcement is made, BTW, the Steam page for W3 does not mention Linux support right now, just the front page.

Comment

I preordered yesterday the DRM free one on GOG hoping that it will come to Linux and without that pesky wrapper but in a native port. One that preferably runs on the free driver stack.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                I preordered yesterday the DRM free one on GOG hoping that it will come to Linux and without that pesky wrapper but in a native port. One that preferably runs on the free driver stack.
                I'm still waiting for some confirmation from CDPR before preordering (I sent them a question). All this looks quite suspicious and I'm not convinced yet that Linux version is coming out at all. There is no reason to rush - preorders will be available until the game comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  I'm still waiting for some confirmation from CDPR before preordering (I sent them a question). All this looks quite suspicious and I'm not convinced yet that Linux version is coming out at all. There is no reason to rush - preorders will be available until the game comes out.
                  I'm suspicious as well as they haven't said anything one way or the other. However, it may be that they're taking a wait and see approach. If they don't see a lot of pre-orders for witcher 3 from steamOS folks, they'll decide it's not worth the effort to a true native port.

Comment

Originally posted by hiryu View Post
                    I'm suspicious as well as they haven't said anything one way or the other. However, it may be that they're taking a wait and see approach. If they don't see a lot of pre-orders for witcher 3 from steamOS folks, they'll decide it's not worth the effort to a true native port.
                    That's the bit that pisses me off. How can a company possibly gauge from the number of sales of another platform, whether or not a Linux port will succeed. If it's a success on Windows, why would they bother with another platform? What possible contrivance are they using to determine Linux viability? If it's not a success, then they wont have any money anyway to port. It's silly. To many people and ocmpanies rely on numbers and other shitty 'indicators' instead of simple user interaction. Engaging with people is to hard apparently. Granted, a lot of people dont talk, and prefer screaming =D

Regardless, not specifically targetting Witcher 3 here, but seemingly a lot of games have pronounced Linux, but seemingly fail to deliver anything thereafter.
                    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                      To many people and ocmpanies rely on numbers and other shitty 'indicators' instead of simple user interaction. Engaging with people is to hard apparently.
                      If voiced user support were a reliable indicator, makeplaylive would have worked out.

Comment

Working...
                      X