An Ubuntu MATE Desktop Spin Might Still Materialize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bison View Post
    Or... why install Ubuntu when you can just install Linux Mint?
    Yeah I think that question was already asked. Thanks for bringing it full circle though.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
      Yes, there is something Xfce doesn't have: active development (and don't go and look at their git repository, because almost all recent activity has to do with translations).
      In the case of long standing and mature projects, a lack of regular code changes does not necessarily mean the project is in decline, rather, as in the case of Xfce, it is a sign of software excellence.

You see, unlike the situation for some other DE's, Xfce users are happy, with Xfce.

-----------

On topic; as others have said, it's called Linux Mint MATE edition.

Why Michael only makes mention of Mint amongst a list of other distributions that MATE is easily installable on, i don't know. One could surmise that his general knowledge of Linux distros is lacking. Perhaps he doesn't realise Mint is still a distro that uses Ubuntu binary repos, or maybe thinks Mint only offers the Cinnamon environment and is unaware that the MATE edition features with equal prominence on Mint's download page.

(@Michael: i don't intend offence, merely pointing out how your lack of including this info could be perceived.)

Comment

Originally posted by enfocomp View Post
        Ubuntu is definitely the best distro for new full time Linux users switching from Windows / Mac.
        Yes, in an alternate reality where Mint doesn't exist

Comment

There's already a solution for those who hate Unity as a desktop environment on their Ubuntu setup:

replace unity by mate

Comment

Working...
          X