Open-Source ATI Driver Achieves 3D Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by l8gravely View Post
    It would be great if there was a link to a document explaining how people could get, compile, install and use such bleeding edge releases. I keep poking at it, but it's never been clear whether I should use the radeon or radeonHD driver for my R500 based card.
    agreed. I've got a Radeon X1300 in my Thinkpad T60, and it's hard to decide between the three available drivers. At the moment (testing openSUSE 11.0 on there right now), it's even harder to put one on.

I'm not against using git, I just have no idea what exactly I need to download and how/where to do so. Because of that, my options are ATI proprietary drivers (which don't like SUSE 11 yet), RadeonHD packages from the OpenSUSE Build Service (which are hardly ever updated), or get Gentoo up and running and use testing or hard masked ebuilds for xf86-video-ati.

These are exciting times for us with ATI hardware, but it sucks sitting on the sidelines and watching.

Comment

This is great work by the devs, and I can't wait to try it.

The thing is, unless I've missed something (I have been following the IRC logs) it isn't going to work for R5xx AGP cards yet.

If this is still the case maybe it would be worth mentioning it somewhere to save R5xx AGP users the hassle/time of building it all from git etc.

Comment

Yeah, someone familiar with this needs to write up something on how to get it for yourself.

I'm going to try getting and compiling Mesa and the radeon driver from git. I'll report on how that goes.

Comment

Once the Mesa is merged to master, maybe I'll write a guide.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

For some reason, 3D only works once - all later attempts say "Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual". I'm on an X1900GT (R580). Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Once the Mesa is merged to master, maybe I'll write a guide.
              Good timing. Dave and Alex were talking about merging tonight. Wonder if it has a chance of catching the Mesa release if Brian re-spins after RC1 ?

The thing is, unless I've missed something (I have been following the IRC logs) it isn't going to work for R5xx AGP cards yet.If this is still the case maybe it would be worth mentioning it somewhere to save R5xx AGP users the hassle/time of building it all from git etc.
              Legume, I think the DRM uses roughly the same AGP code for 5xx and for the 3xx/4xx, so there is a chance it might just work on AGP. Don't remember seeing anyone testing on AGP yet though...

Someone has to be first through the door
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Legume, I think the DRM uses roughly the same AGP code for 5xx and for the 3xx/4xx, so there is a chance it might just work on AGP. Don't remember seeing anyone testing on AGP yet though...

Someone has to be first through the door
                I tried a while back and posted the results to the mailing list.

Alex said he needed to get some info on the pcie -> agp chip for my rv530.

Comment

I think this is a good development, however it still doesn't show what all i am concerned about, yet... the Unreal Tournament 2004 demo running is key, however where are the screenshots of the actual game running?

Comment

At midnight an article is going out about all the games that work and don't work with this driver.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

compiz works on my X1300. i am very, very happy.

Comment

Working...
                      X