id Software's Softdisk Open-Sources Some Really Old Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
    This is excellent to see some old game lovin' in the open source area. People often times like to focus on the new stuff, which is perfectly fine, but sometimes you just can't beat an old, simple game for passing away hours mindlessly.
    +1 to that! Also those older games will run just fine on that old desktop/laptop that barely runs any flavor of Windows too

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
      This is excellent to see some old game lovin' in the open source area. People often times like to focus on the new stuff, which is perfectly fine, but sometimes you just can't beat an old, simple game for passing away hours mindlessly.
      I hear ya'. I've been playing through Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy lately. Was very excited over the fact that I could now compile the same bloody games that forced me to always put the disk in to even play back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        I hear ya'. I've been playing through Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy lately. Was very excited over the fact that I could now compile the same bloody games that forced me to always put the disk in to even play back in the day.
        You still need the asset data for the game to run anyway.

And that data is available only on the original game disk. Same for JO and JA.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          You still need the asset data for the game to run anyway.

And that data is available only on the original game disk. Same for JO and JA.
          Yeah, but you no longer need to keep re-inputting the disk. You can just copy the game data over.

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post
            I've had this aversion to cyan and magenta ever since.
            I feel you bro!

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
              It's surprising as John Carmack said in a tweet (a few months ago) bad things about the GPL and said he was more for BSD.
              I'm not actually surprised. I have a feeling that most people would think twice if they properly read and understood both terms and conditions. Maybe someone from BSD could explain why?

Comment

Working...
              X