Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many ACPI & Power Management Changes Head Into Linux 3.16

Phoronix: Many ACPI & Power Management Changes Head Into Linux 3.16

Rafael Wysocki has sent in his ACPI and power management pull that will target the next Linux kernel release cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
    Are these parameters still any useful
    https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?t...ithout_UEFI.29
    Some of them are incorrect (like i915_ ones, the prefix was removed) and acpi_osi/acpi_backlight to fix the backlight are no longer needed for most laptops, video.use_native_backlight=1 works better (which is supposed to be default in 3.16, but I don't see it in the pull request though).

Comment

Backlight controls are broken on my laptop due to multiple backlights appearing in /sys and the Kernel changing the wrong one, which means I have to change them manually in the Terminal, it worked before 3.8. It's a Windows 8/8.1 UEFI Laptop.

Does this mean it might be fixed?

Comment

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy, but everytime they mess with ACPI and power management, something gets horribly screwed up and Michael puts out a power regression post. It is like clock work.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
          Some of them are incorrect (like i915_ ones, the prefix was removed)...
          What do you mean? If I intend to use the options I should remove the 'i915_' bits?

Comment

What do you mean? If I intend to use the options I should remove the 'i915_' bits?
            Depends on the kernel you use, apparently the i915_ part was only removed in 3.15. I thought it was in a older kernel as the patch was made back in January.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
              Depends on the kernel you use, apparently the i915_ part was only removed in 3.15. I thought it was in a older kernel as the patch was made back in January.
              I see. Thank you.

PS. I've read recently on a call to ditch <somepowerapi> in linux. Which 'API' was it? ACPI, APM or something else?

Comment

I see. Thank you.

PS. I've read recently on a call to ditch <somepowerapi> in linux. Which 'API' was it? ACPI, APM or something else?
                ACPI http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTYzMjg

Comment

I hope they fixed problem I have with my laptop..
                  I use laptop for main computer, so I have monitor hooked up to it, so laptop lid always stays closed...
                  ...but every time I shutdown/reboot computer, as soon as it exits from KDE and goes to the command-line view (to do the last few things before shutdown) it goes to sleep because the laptop lid is closed.....
                  ....so I have to open the laptop lid, then it wakes back up so it can continue shutting-down, then I can close the lid again.....Really annoying..

Comment

Working...
                  X