Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's Now 500 Games On Steam For Linux

Phoronix: There's Now 500 Games On Steam For Linux

It just so happens on the tenth birthday of Phoronix that 500 games are now available for Linux via SteamOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is beyond huge. I don't play computer games, but just three years ago, people would get laughed at for trying to game in Linux. Today, we have 500 titles. Amazing. Michael, you were really up so something when you mentioned that Steam for Linux was huge. It's a good day to be an open source freak

Comment

...but do they work?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        ...but do they work?
        70% "working" .

Comment

yes

...but do they work?

all working here (28)

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
            all working here (28)
            i'm yet to find one that wouldn't out of 42. and out of 20+ windows games, only 2 don't work in wine. strangely one of those 2 is two worlds 2 which not one single person says it had any problems

friend with amd card has completely different experience though with both catalyst and oss drivers

Comment

...but do they work?
              That's a really good question. Out of ~150 that I have in my library I'd say it's 50% ok. The rest either don't run, crash, have mem leaks, don't have working cloud saves, don't have working achievements, don't support gamepads (while the windows version does), have glitches, are in a permanent beta status for 3 years, are in a different version so saves aren't compatible or there are features missing or have other really really dumb bugs (e.g. FTL has changed the save directory between updates from "~/.fasterthanlight" to "~/.FasterThanLight" - how stupid is that?)... the list goes on. It's not a pretty picture with the cherry on the cake being the recent Witcher 2 (I'm still hating the devs, cause I bought it on the day of Linux release & it still doesn't work).

The worst thing being that the devleopers of these games don't even care. They rarely listen to the bugs that people post on the steam forum and even less often fix them. Many Linux ports seem like a slap in the face so people would just shut up and stop nagging the devs for the port.

There are really few technically good games, e.g. everything from Frictional Games and most Unity3D engine games (Unity3D being even better than on windows cause you can backup your saves cause they are in files compared to windows registry ;-) ), but the rest is a coin flip :-/.
              Last edited by Cyber Killer; 06 June 2014, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Serious Linux gamer here! (And game dev!)

The early days of Linux-for-Steam definitely had a lot of problems with games. But there have been improvements both by the vendors and by Valve improving its runtime support library, and newer games seem to work fine for me. I think these are expected teething problems, as for many devs this is their first real experience with making Linux games.

For the record, I have Steam games that don't work well in Windows 7/8, either (usually games from the XP era). My Mac-using friends also report a lot of serious breakage, especially between OS X versions.

It remains extremely baffling that you have no way to return games, not even for credit, on Steam. If you bought a game and it doesn't work as advertised, well, it's your loss only. There is obviously a risk that this will infuriate future SteamOS gamers: console gamers have far less patience than PC gamers. Steam better get rid of any game doesn't work on every Steam Machine before they hit the shelves.

Anyway: 500 games is amazing! Many of them are "casual games" ported from cross-platform mobile, but that's still stunning considering that just a few years ago all we had was solitaire, TuxCart and Sauerbraten. I still reboot to Windows sometimes (I call it "GameOS", and it's just Windows 8 with Steam installed, nothing else), but I find myself more and more staying in Ubuntu.

Michael, please do some reporting on Desura, too. You mention Steam and even GOG, but Desura is a minor player in this market that has supported Linux for a long time, and has many titles that Steam doesn't ... it would be curious to know statistics there.

Comment

Regular Linux Steam gamer here: Numbers are one thing, but having some AAA titles around is also important. Luckily that starts to look good too. With releases like Civilization Beyond Earth coming to Linux I see a lot of time wasted with playing games. I'd hope Bethesda would join the club too with their next Elder Scrolls single player game, but they seem to be somewhat confused in that regard (both single player and Linux). I'm curious what kind of pull SteamBoxes will cause once they are finally out and what Valves answer to the Oculus Rift debacle will be.

Comment

I have about 40 games, aprox 20 are Source derived (almost complete half-life and multiplayer games like CS, TF ...). The rest is casual stupidities originaly bought in Humble bundles.

Now I did not encounter any serious problem yet. Most of them were fixed either by me (component updates) or the game devs (Serious Sam3 is a good example).

The only odd one is Witcher 2, but for 3.99 on the sale, I cannot complain :-)) I bought it just to show support. Did not expect it to work (not on my crap hardware).

However I'd have an issue with Steam client. Or rather game organisation. If you gothrough the full search and pick Linux platform you get vastly more entries than when you do through the store Games/Linux menu. WTF ???

Comment

Working...
                    X