Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sandboxing Features Come To Systemd

Default New Sandboxing Features Come To Systemd

Phoronix: New Sandboxing Features Come To Systemd

Lennart Poettering has added two new service sandboxing features to systemd...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcwOTk

All Your Security Are Belong To Us.

Quote Originally Posted by Filiprino View Post
    Do you think a hijacked service should be able to devastate your system? The more low level is the security mechanism, the more effective it is.

Right, because providing an optional security mechanism automatically means all other security mechanisms instantly disappear.

Where else, if not in the system launching services, should such stuff be configured?

It's quite sad that more blacklisting is being introduced. It would be much nicer to have InaccessibleDirectories=/ with whitelisting via ReadOnlyDirectories/ReadWriteDirectories in a working state... blacklists are a bad way to approach security.

Quote Originally Posted by strcat View Post
    It's quite sad that more blacklisting is being introduced. It would be much nicer to have InaccessibleDirectories=/ with whitelisting via ReadOnlyDirectories/ReadWriteDirectories in a working state... blacklists are a bad way to approach security.
    This seems like it is unnecessarilly reinventing apparmor, poorly. Albeit, I guess directory access control is coming at it from another angle.

Apparmor already provides the necessary controls to restrict program behavior. I don't like how the usual default is no profile = go bananas, but you can fix that.

It has always been one of my largest gripes with Arch that MAC is not functional pretty much at all. If I knew anything about how to port apparmor profiles from Ubuntu or Suse where they have a huge stock of them (and I had the time) I'd try it. I think that is honestly the only thing holding me back from recommending Manjaro / Chakra to average users (not newbies yet, but the average joe should have good MAC support).

Quote Originally Posted by oleid View Post
    Where else, if not in the system launching services, should such stuff be configured?
    not like there are GID's and permissions or anything like that

Quote Originally Posted by zanny View Post
    This seems like it is unnecessarilly reinventing apparmor, poorly. Albeit, I guess directory access control is coming at it from another angle.

Apparmor already provides the necessary controls to restrict program behavior. I don't like how the usual default is no profile = go bananas, but you can fix that.

It has always been one of my largest gripes with Arch that MAC is not functional pretty much at all. If I knew anything about how to port apparmor profiles from Ubuntu or Suse where they have a huge stock of them (and I had the time) I'd try it. I think that is honestly the only thing holding me back from recommending Manjaro / Chakra to average users (not newbies yet, but the average joe should have good MAC support).
    Arch Linux has an official package for grsecurity, which has a great MAC implementation. The profiles are very easy to write, especially thanks to both full-system auto-learning and granular learning for specific subjects. It resolves the paths in the profile to inodes when the policy is loaded, so it doesn't have the security disadvantage associated with PATH-based MAC. It also has more power than the LSM alternatives since it's not limited to whatever hooks ended up all over the kernel for SELinux.

And the cancer spreads...