Thread: PlayCanvas Browser-Based Game Engine Open-Sourced

Default PlayCanvas Browser-Based Game Engine Open-Sourced

Phoronix: Mozilla Open-Sources Their PlayCanvas Gaming Engine

For the past three years Mozilla has been developing a JavaScript-based WebGL-using game engine that is like "unlike anything that had gone before" and today they have open-sourced this browser-based game engine...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcxMDA

Can't wait for Toms Hardware incorporating that test in next Grand Prix

Anyway, is PTS able to benchmark web apps?

Default Not Mozilla?

It looks to me like this isn't a Mozilla-developed engine, it's PlayCanvas Ltd. open-sourcing the javascript engine underlying PlayCanvas's suite of game development tools-as-a-service, and merely announcing it on the Mozilla Hacks blog rather than their own blog.

PlayCanvas do list Mozilla as a "partner" on their site (alongside Activision and ARM), but it's not obvious what level of involvement that implies. I believe Mozilla are also a "partner" of Epic Games and the Unreal Engine. I'm not sure the PlayCanvas engine is any more Mozilla's engine than the Unreal Engine is.

Quote Originally Posted by dstand30 View Post
    It looks to me like this isn't a Mozilla-developed engine, it's PlayCanvas Ltd. open-sourcing the javascript engine underlying PlayCanvas's suite of game development tools-as-a-service, and merely announcing it on the Mozilla Hacks blog rather than their own blog.

PlayCanvas do list Mozilla as a "partner" on their site (alongside Activision and ARM), but it's not obvious what level of involvement that implies. I believe Mozilla are also a "partner" of Epic Games and the Unreal Engine. I'm not sure the PlayCanvas engine is any more Mozilla's engine than the Unreal Engine is.
    Maybe Mozilla was a consulting partner so that the engine would play nicely with a popular browser?!

Quote Originally Posted by dstand30 View Post

Yes, the headline here is incorrect. PlayCanvas is an engine from the PlayCanvas company, which now open sourced it. Mozilla is only involved in that it blogged about it, as an interesting open source development. Also, Mozilla has helped out PlayCanvas with open source stuff like Emscripten and ammo.js, which are relevant to PlayCanvas. But the full PlayCanvas engine is what PlayCanvas is open sourcing now. Mozilla is just helping to get the word out.

Would be great if the headline here can be corrected, PlayCanvas deserve 100% of the credit here.

(I work for Mozilla.)

Quote Originally Posted by kripken View Post
    Yes, the headline here is incorrect. PlayCanvas is an engine from the PlayCanvas company, which now open sourced it. Mozilla is only involved in that it blogged about it, as an interesting open source development. Also, Mozilla has helped out PlayCanvas with open source stuff like Emscripten and ammo.js, which are relevant to PlayCanvas. But the full PlayCanvas engine is what PlayCanvas is open sourcing now. Mozilla is just helping to get the word out.

Would be great if the headline here can be corrected, PlayCanvas deserve 100% of the credit here.

(I work for Mozilla.)
    The title was corrected now that I'm back in the office after being away several hours today... Confusion on my part when it was posted to Mozilla Hacks this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The title was corrected now that I'm back in the office after being away several hours today... Confusion on my part when it was posted to Mozilla Hacks this morning.
    Thanks for the correction

That looks really, really cool. I never put the time into learning graphic design or aesthetics, so like many server back-end developers my attempts at pretty visuals are awful. But I'm going to take this for a spin, just for fun. One of my kids is currently obsessed with Pacific Rim, maybe I can foster an interest in software by mocking up a robot vs. monster battle.