Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing 60+ Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPUs On Linux With Open-Source Drivers

Hybrid View

Default Testing 60+ Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPUs On Linux With Open-Source Drivers

Phoronix: Testing 60+ Intel/AMD/NVIDIA GPUs On Linux With Open-Source Drivers

With Thursday marking the ten year anniversary of launching Phoronix.com and also the six-year anniversary since the public 1.0 debut of the Phoronix Test Suite, there's a lot of interesting articles that I've been working on to celebrate these two milestones. For your viewing pleasure today is easily the largest graphics processor comparison that's ever happened at Phoronix... I've tested over 60 GPUs from the Intel HD Graphics, AMD Radeon, AMD FirePro, and NVIDIA GeForce series to see how their performance is when using the very latest open-source Linux graphics drivers on Ubuntu.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20509

Thumbs up

Great work Michael!

Really nice

I can't wait for the patch that enables reclocking for Kepler cards, I really want to see how performant nouveau ends up being then.

I'm in a weird situation, my Linux gaming rig runs a 6870 due to it being my previous Windows card until I upgraded to a 7970. But the 7970 was running badly in Windows and I was sick of dealing with Catalyst on Windows so swapped it out for a 770 GTX.

That means I have a 7970 sitting around doing nothing, but rather than stick it in my Linux box, it's better for me to leave the 6870 in there. The best card on Linux is a several years old Ati thing that I happened to purchase as a stopgap at the time. Not even brute forcing it with last gens top-of-the line beats it. It astounds me really, I understand about the relative maturity of the software, but it still strikes me as strange.

As an aside, really looking forward to the test farm Michael. Keep up the great work!

Michael,

The frame time distribution graphs are a nice improvement! That tells a *much* more useful story than average FPS.

-- Chris

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
    Michael,

The frame time distribution graphs are a nice improvement! That tells a *much* more useful story than average FPS.

-- Chris
    indeed !

much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    I'm in a weird situation, my Linux gaming rig runs a 6870 due to it being my previous Windows card until I upgraded to a 7970. But the 7970 was running badly in Windows and I was sick of dealing with Catalyst on Windows so swapped it out for a 770 GTX.
    Same, I got a 7870. Bad idea, it never worked well. So I went back to NVidia since they're a little bit nicer these days, and also got a 770. It is slow on Linux without reclocking, but works rather well. On Windows, it is simply perfect, the overall quality is higher than ATI.

Default I am impressed

With amount of work Michael has done.

I am still gonna stick to my guns with Nvidia binary drivers and cards, since AMD clearly a bad choice when it comes for Bang for the Buck.
    interesting, non the less!

I'd love to play games on open source GPU, but i don't think it's happening any time soon. May be when Weston will become reality... In a few years.

nouveau now supports reclocking btw:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~darktam...7dab04e76b8742

Retest please

Quote Originally Posted by arabek View Post
    nouveau now supports reclocking btw: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~darktam...7dab04e76b8742 Retest please
    Sadly, this isn't dynamic reclocking - the user needs to set the clock rates.

I cannot express how awesome the box plot graphs are.