Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thermal Issues Appear To Cause My ASUS Zenbook Linux Woes

Default Thermal Issues Appear To Cause My ASUS Zenbook Linux Woes

Phoronix: Thermal Issues Appear To Cause My ASUS Zenbook Linux Woes

As I've expressed on Twitter and in a past article I've run into some tough times recently with the ASUS Zenbook UX301LAA ultrabook under Linux. ASUS wasn't of much help and after further system reboots, the issue appears to be heat-related with this Intel Haswell ultrabook...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcwOTQ

Can't you use anything other than Ubuntu? Like c'mon.

Install Windows on it. Reproduce the problem. Send it back to ASUS.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavensRevenge View Post
    I do... I routinely use Fedora, Debian, RHEL/CentOS/Scientific, and others. I started out with Mandrake. But for purposes of my main system, Ubuntu LTS releases get the job done, have been using it since Fedora Core became too unstable/unreliable in its earlier days, etc. It's not that Ubuntu is causing these thermal issues.

You're using an ultrabook... of course it's going to have thermal issues... the only oddity is that you're indicating thermal issues while idling.

On the desktop I have, gaming and stress testing wouldn't throw the CPU temp to the thermal limit I have set in BIOS, and all was well. However, three notable actions (one being installing MSI Afterburner, one being from patching anything using Blizzard's launcher (SC2, D3, and MoP), and the other running the math test in PerformanceTest 7) would cause the computer to shut off abruptly.

Turns out, those three actions alone (not hours of gaming (mainly GW2 at the time) or 20 minutes worth of stress testing with prime95) would cause the temp on my CPU to quickly go past the thermal limit, and then drop quickly. No idea why, but that's the strangest issue I've had dealing with temps.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavensRevenge View Post
    Why?

It looks like a hardware issue. It's not like Linux was never tested on an ultrabook to set a proper thermal limit.

I would try to reproduce the issue with Windows because I guess it's an hardware issue.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Quote Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
    I would try to reproduce the issue with Windows because I guess it's an hardware issue.
    No time / ability to play around with that when it's my main production system until I switch out the ultrabook/laptop.

Default lol

simply change the thermal paste, what its the new? first thing you need to do in all laptops if we want good temps, you people don't know nothing about hardware? your thermal paste it's burn, simply thing.... so much troble for nothing