Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Announces A New 3D API, OpenGL Competitor: Metal

Phoronix: Apple Announces A New 3D API, OpenGL Competitor: Metal

At Apple's WWDC conference today they have just unveiled Metal, a new 3D graphics API to compete with OpenGL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And then OpenGL 5 comes out which addresses all of the issues that Metal and Mantle are supposedly solving. I'm thinking at this point Khronos might have to break API compatibility?!

Comment

lol

after Steve Jobs dead apple loose their mine wth things, first was their maps software, now this? who next? they will put amd cpu in their mac laptops? lol

Comment

Benchmarks please: Direct3D vs Metal vs Mantle vs OpenGL vs ... .

M?yne is 10X then yours .

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
          And then OpenGL 5 comes out which addresses all of the issues that Metal and Mantle are supposedly solving.
          Unfortunately OpenGL 5 can't address NIH issue and won't implement vendor lock-in support that Apple need to hurt Android.

Comment

Taking this to the obvious next conclusion... wouldn't this compel Intel, Qualcomm and NVIDIA to come up with their own "API" to make sure that their hardware is being utilized to the "maximum"? And start paying devs to use it?

Comment

Oh i forget S3 had Metal API - is that the same .

API Wars

Comment

Now that AMD (Mantle), Microsoft (D3D12) and Apple (Metal) have their new "better than OpenGL" APIs announced, I'm wondering what Nvidia and Google will come up with.

Comment

lol, osx gaming is dead if they drop opengl support. Nobody is going to use a proprietary API to support <1% of the userbase. Got a good chuckle out of this with my fellow game/graphics engine dev friends. Even ios is a joke compared to android now, >90% of my game sales came from android so I stopped supporting ios devices because it's a waste of time.

Apple should have done this when they had the clear advantage over android a few years back before they became 5% market share in the mobile space.

Originally posted by Lysius View Post
                  Now that AMD (Mantle), Microsoft (D3D12) and Apple (Metal) have their new "better than OpenGL" APIs announced, I'm wondering what Nvidia and Google will come up with.
                  Both use OpenGL. Nvidia is heavily invested in OGL and has proven that it doesn't have the overhead AMD/Microsoft claim it has if used properly(e.g, arb_buffer_storage with persistent mapping)
                  Last edited by peppercats; 02 June 2014, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                    lol, osx gaming is dead if they drop opengl support.
                    Apple aren't dumb. They not going to drop OpenGL support anytime soon. This API needed for iOS vendor lock-in.

Comment

Working...
                    X