Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Years Later, Mainline Linux Supports Nokia's N900 Modem

Phoronix: Years Later, Mainline Linux Supports Nokia's N900 Modem

The Nokia N900 smartphone launched in 2009 and for a time was quite popular with Linux enthusiasts, now has a modem driver within the mainline Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The very first (smart)phones to have a free modem driver?

Is it?

Comment

I fail to understand why people waste their time on such things. Is anyone still using this phone?

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        I fail to understand why people waste their time on such things. Is anyone still using this phone?
        Could still be a nice phone with an up to date kernel/Qt and the like. I miss the keyboard and the built-in radio emitter, among other things. I don't miss the 256Mb of RAM though.

Comment

I'm still trying to buy one.
          There is a better phone than the N900?
          I will not consider your response if it does not have a QWERTY.

Comment

Mine still serves me well after 4 years. How many normal smartphones do normal people throw away in that period of time?

Comment

I fail to understand your comment. And I am still using mine.

It is an important issue and the point has to be made. In most smart phones today, the user has no control of the modem. It could be communicating all the time, using software with backdoors or whatever, without the user knowing. If the driver is free and open source software, the user will be able to control when the modem is used.

Comment

Is still have not found a smartphone better suitable to my needs yet. It would need a hardware keyboard and android is not an option. There simply has not been any viable alternative since the N900...

Comment

Is anyone still using this phone?
                  In case it's useful for someone, there's the Neo900: http://neo900.org/

Comment

It is the best smartphone available for me.

It has a real Linux distro, not Android
                    It has a physical keyboard
                    It has a resistive screen, not capacitive, and a stylus to go with it

I still use mine, though I need to switch to my backup one probably as this one has been dropped a few too many times.

I am greatly looking forward to the Neo900

Comment

Working...
                    X