Samsung Finally Launches Its First Tizen Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Ok, NO. There's a huge market in selling bullshit to "audiophiles" (read: gullible fools) with no scientific or any other kind of evidence backing up any validity behind them. Special speaker wires aren't going to make your sound system sound any better, there's no magic involved in audio systems.

But hey, feel free to waste your money in "magic speaker wires" and "virus-protected HDMI cables" (yes, those are a thing... I've lost all faith in humanity)...
    ... Gold has lower electrical resistance compared to more common substances used for plating, and aside from that most "HiFi" cables are thicker, allowing more more throughput. There's definitely a difference between those and the shitty $5 2cm-wide wires you'll get at a dollar store. It's not going to magically make your system sound better, but it's going to _help_ a very expensive system sound as good as it should.

Unrelated: "virus-protected HDMI cables"? Holy hell, what is the world coming to. I want to kill anybody who falls for that.

Well, that's a nice way of making claims about a totally unrelated issue which I've never commented on. Lossy compression is a completely different issue, with a completely d?fferent set of problems.
    I meant "just because you can't tell the difference between low and high-quality audio after a certain level doesn't mean others can't". Worded it the wrong way, yeah.

Comment

Probably because you want to see a difference there. It'd be pretty shitty if you pay extra for a 120hz monitor and can't notice a difference, so you tell yourself "of course I can see a difference"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-pu...ationalization
      If you lived in France I would happily prove you that there is no bias by inviting you to come over and check with your own eyes.

Comment

So. Tizen.
        Hi

Comment

Might I just add, audio, and video signalling, when sent digitally, can be sent over a piece of rolled aluminium foil. It just wont let you do it very well, or for any distance. Gold is only going to allow you to improve the length of the cable and considering you dont make wire from gold....well gold plating is kind of moot.

Slighlty exaggerrated, but you know. I'm allowed.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            Unrelated: "virus-protected HDMI cables"? Holy hell, what is the world coming to. I want to kill anybody who falls for that.
            Guessing you don't do a lot of shopping here ?

re: impact of display refresh rates, when you're doing comparisons make sure you don't have any AC-powered light sources in the test area. The brain interprets beat frequencies between display refresh and power line frequency in funny ways.
            Test signature

Comment

... Gold has lower electrical resistance compared to more common substances used for plating, and aside from that most "HiFi" cables are thicker, allowing more more throughput. There's definitely a difference between those and the shitty $5 2cm-wide wires you'll get at a dollar store. It's not going to magically make your system sound better, but it's going to _help_ a very expensive system sound as good as it should.
              All evidence says the exact opposite. People can't even tell the difference between high-end cables and clotheshangers. There is a reason that the audiophile community rejects double-blind testing: it doesn't give them the answers they want. There is also a reason why scientists studying the auditory system connect their $100,000, ultra-precise, 200kHz equipment using run-of-the-mill, sometimes even home-made, BNC cables: because they work just as well.

Comment

Everything you just said was complete bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                  Might I just add, audio, and video signalling, when sent digitally, can be sent over a piece of rolled aluminium foil. It just wont let you do it very well, or for any distance. Gold is only going to allow you to improve the length of the cable and considering you dont make wire from gold....well gold plating is kind of moot.

Slighlty exaggerrated, but you know. I'm allowed.
                  I think the reasoning for gold contacts is that it is the only part of the cable with direct oxygen contact and you want to reduce the oxidation by using a less reactive material (e.g. gold) to not loose your electrical conductivity by having a small layer of oxidized material on top. I'm not saying this is actually helping but a different reasoning. But you're still right with the digital signals, the cable and contacts don't matter too much.

For getting larger cable lengths gold won't actually help you as copper has a lower resistance than gold. Silver would be the material you want to have, but still..., to costly

Comment

Everything you just said was complete bullshit.
                    Completely possible. At this point, it's probably worth noting that almost everything I've learned about audio systems (including the wiring) came from a very unreliable source (he's in jail currently), but it's the only stuff I ever learned so I still assume it as true. Nobody has ever corrected me before either, affirming the "it's true" thought in my mind.

Do feel free to correct me in a way that isn't condescending so that I may reflect on my past mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
                      I think the reasoning for gold contacts is that it is the only part of the cable with direct oxygen contact and you want to reduce the oxidation by using a less reactive material (e.g. gold) to not loose your electrical conductivity by having a small layer of oxidized material on top. I'm not saying this is actually helping but a different reasoning. But you're still right with the digital signals, the cable and contacts don't matter too much.

For getting larger cable lengths gold won't actually help you as copper has a lower resistance than gold. Silver would be the material you want to have, but still..., to costly
                      That'd be about right I think. I knew there was a reasoning behind the gold and I didn't have it. I dont think silver would work well though, because it tarnishes in the air? Speculating here. And things like bronze aren't flexible despite being good for such things. I guess that's why we have plastic and audio cables come coated in it, and have braided coverings. Better ones have braided coverings and quality wiring.

I'm certainly no audio pro. I just know that a digital signal doesn't care what medium it's carried on, and that said medium only affects the distance and signal rate (and the expectant amount of data you can pump through that material, and packet droppingl). When it gets back to the pure analogue, then it changes up somewhat.
                      Last edited by stiiixy; 04 June 2014, 02:15 AM.
                      Hi

Comment

Working...
                      X