No announcement yet.

Samsung Finally Launches Its First Tizen Smartphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just posting some stuff for the sake of keeping the flame going.

There is plenty of evidence/paper/tests that show that the human brain can detect frequencies higher than 60hz. While the improvement is much smaller when you go to from 60hz to 120hz than when you go from 30hz to 60hz, it's still there.
    Some good reads:

A big example of where you need more than 60hz is the Oculus Rift (as told in the second link), since the screen doesn't update fast enough when you move your head. Obviously the effect is much smaller with a desktop monitor, as you aren't moving your head and expect the screen to keep on.
    Another thing to be told is that usually a much bigger improvement over more hz is strobing (nvidia call their implementation lightboost) since it reduced image redention/ghosting by a lot.

--
    As for the music quality, flac and similar are placebo*. That's pretty much it.
    A nice article on music quality is here: https://web.archive.org/web/20140524...eil-young.html (it's more about a bigger sampling frequency than bitrate, but still worth a read).
    Also http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Transparency

Why the *? Because usually people download .flac files from a source that used a better master/mixing that the one found in "recent" cds. Also, tons of .mp3 and similar one could download from the internet are very badly encoded and taken from "dubious" sources.
    There's also the problem with encoders, many sucks.

If you want to see it by yourself, get a .flac of your favorite song, convert it to .mp3 v0 with lame, and then use a double-blind testing program to see if you can manage to find the .flac file without cheating.

--
    My two cents, enjoy.

Oh, by the way, I like that finally Tizen is getting shipped. Maybe between the recent improvements on iOS 8, Samsung shipping Tizen, Windows Phone getting better and Jolla/Firefox OS Google will finally move forward with Android. I feel that we've been getting only small/minor updates lately (and for lately I mean the latest 2/3 major releases).

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      Completely possible. At this point, it's probably worth noting that almost everything I've learned about audio systems (including the wiring) came from a very unreliable source (he's in jail currently), but it's the only stuff I ever learned so I still assume it as true. Nobody has ever corrected me before either, affirming the "it's true" thought in my mind.

Do feel free to correct me in a way that isn't condescending so that I may reflect on my past mistakes.
      You know, it's completely fine to talk about something that you aren't certain about, but it is substantially less cool to do so when you don't say you aren't certain. If you aren't sure, please include that in your posts for the sanity of the internet and Saint Al.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
        Curiously, when you signal along a digital cable, what else is being transmitted besides binary?
        Depends on the signal. A digital signal can have any number of states.

Or, more precisely, any signal that has n discrete states, where n is a known value, is considered to be a digital signal. In contrast to analog signals, where the value is continuous.

Comment

So back to the topic of Tizen
          Anyone got info how will it be updated?
          Will it be like linux versioning/rolling distros or a whole firmware as iOS and Android?
          If you cold update at least userspace like on normal distros i will want one.
          I hate when manufacturer decides to drop support and you are left with old version even when the HW is still good enough for your need.

Comment

(btw, re: RAM more is merrier - more RAM also means more power draw. So there are limits to what's appropriate in a small mobile device.)

Comment

Originally posted by pixo View Post
              So back to the topic of Tizen
              Anyone got info how will it be updated?
              Will it be like linux versioning/rolling distros or a whole firmware as iOS and Android?
              If you cold update at least userspace like on normal distros i will want one.
              I hate when manufacturer decides to drop support and you are left with old version even when the HW is still good enough for your need.
              My only concern with Tizen is it being turned in to a walled garden. Now, this concern is based only on older rumours about Samsung wanting a walled-garden away from Google's Android/Play market, thus making a 3rd garden. However, with HTML5, this brings it back to reality and I will happily use Tizen if Samsung have their Samsung Play store and also allow open package installs like Android does anyway. And it's better than Sailfish, which it probably wont be.
              Hi

Comment

And it's better than Sailfish, which it probably wont be.
                I am really curious why Ubuntu Touch, Sailfish, and Tizen are all independent projects. They all need all the help they can get, and none of them are working together, even though they are doing the exact same thing (qt apps, gesture based navigation, whole-GNU stack, and two of them are using Wayland).

I assume it is just three companies who want to keep all the toys to themselves, building sandcastles that are lopsided but "look like their vision", rather than working together and building a huge sandcastle like Android but that would look like the compromise of all their design goals...

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                  I assume it is just three companies who want to keep all the toys to themselves, building sandcastles that are lopsided but "look like their vision",
                  One could argue that Apple's success is mostly due to them sticking to their vision only.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                    One could argue that Apple's success is mostly due to them sticking to their vision only.
                    And that Apples rapid loss of control of the smartphone market, and encroaching loss of the tablet market, are due to their strict coherence to their vision that lead them to putting their sandbox in a bank vault with military grade militia guarding the doors, while Android, where Google will build the castle on its own in the back room but let you mess with the village around it and are taking over the industry.

Comment

Sailfish? Native apps through Qt, HTML5 and Android. Can't lose, there. They're as open as open can be right now, especially with regards to the mobile universe. So yeah, not even same league technically speaking, as other the OS'.

Maemo, Meego, Mer and Sailfish are all same team as far as I am concerned, considering their code-base, grass-roots nature, goals and idealistic ethics. Maemo is on its own in reality, but again, the points I make and when you realise they're all doing something to target a market specifically until Sailfish which is built bottom's-up to expand from smallest (smartphones) up to mid (big tablets), it's usually no problem to build for lowest common denominator and with all the build systems being open, automation magic happens (at least you doe-monkey's make it seem like that!)

Just to throw it out there, I still wish for the day we get an OS and mobile device that can make calls, play movies, and can actually dock to my KB, mouse and monitor at home easily (BT was invented for a reason) for my officey things. The applications are already there, like Kingsoft (can't trust it, being free and closed binary from China...it's just not in line with their entire culture right now), Google Doc's any online office really so on so forth. The power in the mobile device is potentially awesome. Just need people to make it work. I can't stand this you only do serious work at a desktop BS. You crunch number's at a desk (supported by massive CPU/GPU/RAM/DISC systems if need be), you do everything else when and where you can. HTML5 tome is running the app on your device, but manipulating content on on Server X (yours, or hosted elsewheres), just like those 3D games that do the grunt work online.

Bring it on!
                      Hi

Comment

Working...
                      X