Thread: FreeBSD 9.3 Is In Beta, Adds Radeon KMS & Xen HVM

Default FreeBSD 9.3 Is In Beta, Adds Radeon KMS & Xen HVM

Phoronix: FreeBSD 9.3 Is In Beta, Adds Radeon KMS & Xen HVM

For those sticking to FreeBSD 9 over FreeBSD 10, the 9.3 release is approaching for this popular BSD operating system and it's now in beta...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcwNjk

At the moment I'm pretty happy with Arch Linux; However I think porting Radeon related stuff (e.g r600 OGL 3.3 and DPM support) from Linux kernel 3.14 to FreeBSD will make it an interesting alternative option.

I'm waiting for the update to the i915 driver. Once that's MFC'd I'll fire it up on my haswell lenovo.

Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    However I think porting Radeon related stuff (e.g r600 OGL 3.3 and DPM support) from Linux kernel 3.14 to FreeBSD will make it an interesting alternative option.
    I've been using FreeNAS on an AMD 780G motherboard for a while now, and I'd love to have KMS working on that machine. It's terminal + Web GUI only, and currently it's an 80x60 terminal... hopefully that will change.

Quote Originally Posted by siavashserver View Post
    At the moment I'm pretty happy with Arch Linux; However I think porting Radeon related stuff (e.g r600 OGL 3.3 and DPM support) from Linux kernel 3.14 to FreeBSD will make it an interesting alternative option.
    Yeah, I'm quite interested in trying it out myself once DynPM hits. I certainly don't expect it to replace openSUSE as my daily driver but definitely worth a look.