Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Steam Usage Dropped Slightly In May

Phoronix: Linux Steam Usage Dropped Slightly In May

With the start of a new month comes Valve's Steam Hardware/Software Survey statistics that have been revised for May 2014...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile StatCounter claims Linux is on an all-time high, with 1.6% worldwide and over 2.1% in Europe. France is leading with over 4%.

Comment

Even if it was random, it would be pretty accurate considering the number of active accounts on Steam. The real issue I have is that I've never seen the survey on Linux even though I have had Steam installed many times over the last year. I'm not sure whether or not I'm even getting considered to be counted.

Comment

hm

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
        Even if it was random, it would be pretty accurate considering the number of active accounts on Steam. The real issue I have is that I've never seen the survey on Linux even though I have had Steam installed many times over the last year. I'm not sure whether or not I'm even getting considered to be counted.
        this survey only counts if response to them, i never do, if valve wants to report our things they need to pay

Comment

there's likely not going to be any big swings in Linux usage until there's compelling reasons for Windows gamers to switch over to Linux
          And the compelling reasons why windows gamers should switch to Linux are? There are none, someone could say freedom and others things, but gamers doesnt care about that, they only want to play ALL their games with a good performance, and they can do that in windows better than in Linux.
          Maybe SteamOS will need exclusive games to bring gamers to use this OS (as xbox and PS does). Or maybe we should see SteamOS as a competition against consoles, and not against windows.

Comment

GNU Linux is more secure, performs better and can do a bunch of things Windows can't.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
              this survey only counts if response to them, i never do, if valve wants to report our things they need to pay
              They kind of already do pay in game discounts. It's not like the information they gather is personal anyway.

Comment

I just started the client and it asked me if i wanted to participate so i will be in the net sum of linux users

Comment

who cares?

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
                  And the compelling reasons why windows gamers should switch to Linux are? There are none, someone could say freedom and others things, but gamers doesnt care about that, they only want to play ALL their games with a good performance, and they can do that in windows better than in Linux.
                  Maybe SteamOS will need exclusive games to bring gamers to use this OS (as xbox and PS does). Or maybe we should see SteamOS as a competition against consoles, and not against windows.
                  who cares about windows?

the only good windows out there now is 7. i can't understand how people use 8.xxx but ok their choice, i respect that..

for me gaiming is ok i only play dota 2 with a nvidia card no problem ofc if you have a amd card with their garbage drivers...

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                    i can't understand how people use 8.xxx but ok their choice, i respect that..
                    I love Windows 8...
                    *prepares for insults*

That being said, I love Linux more (<3 my Manjaro installation)

Comment

Working...
                    X