The Dirty List Of GPUs With Open-Source Drivers Gone Wildly Wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droste View Post
    1. We have funnybot ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funnybot )
    2. Michael is not a German
    3. That link is a search request that lists the articles found (below "Tesseract Linux News") and is not a link to a single article
    I'm the german guy here. And I'm pretty sure that link wouldn't have worked in 2005 or would at least not have found any relevant articles.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
      I'm the german guy here. And I'm pretty sure that link wouldn't have worked in 2005 or would at least not have found any relevant articles.
      Ah. Then... never mind

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        And then u use a absolut non official ppa replacing some stuff.

Why not just try then if something like that happens, a fedora rawhide? its a distro where many developers from the free drivers work as major distro or package directly for it. or use ubuntu if needed and compile it yourself.
        can you downgrade packages easily in fedora? do you have alternative, PPA-like repos in fedora?

Comment

What made the HD5750 stop displaying?

I have one in one of my machines, running Mesa versions from when Evergreen was first made to work through what came out in the Xorg-edgers PPA when Raring was released it didn't once lose the display. What was running when this happened? Maybe I need to blacklist that machine from being upgraded to my current OS image with current Mesa?

That card is curiously slow, never getting over 350 fps in Critter (2d game in OpenGL) while it's full-spech HD5570 cousin will do double that. Wonder if a firmware bug is the culprit here?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
            I have one in one of my machines, running Mesa versions from when Evergreen was first made to work through what came out in the Xorg-edgers PPA when Raring was released it didn't once lose the display. What was running when this happened? Maybe I need to blacklist that machine from being upgraded to my current OS image with current Mesa?

That card is curiously slow, never getting over 350 fps in Critter (2d game in OpenGL) while it's full-spech HD5570 cousin will do double that. Wonder if a firmware bug is the culprit here?
            wild guess: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...704#post379704

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
              can you downgrade packages easily in fedora? do you have alternative, PPA-like repos in fedora?
              Yes to downgrading:

Code:
              yum downgrade NetworkManager NetworkManager-gnome NetworkManager-glib
              http://superuser.com/questions/29059...asily-with-yum

Yes to PPA-like like repos:

http://repos.fedorapeople.org/

Comment

Linux 3.15 and Mesa 10.3-devel
                Need I say more?

/hyperbole /threadclosed

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                  2005 called. They want their hardware back. Also they demand to know what that 'Tesseract' is.
                  I still use a Geforce 4 MX 420 on one of my boxes (with Athlon XP 1700+, 1GB RAM) and am quite satisified with it (although recently Firefox was quite slow).

Comment

Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
                    I still use a Geforce 4 MX 420 on one of my boxes (with Athlon XP 1700+, 1GB RAM) and am quite satisified with it (although recently Firefox was quite slow).
                    I have a similar system somewhere around here (XP 2000+). But honestly these oldies consume more power than they are good for anything

Comment

very nice

To play devils advocate, you could make a list like this for Windows also, with the closed source of course. It's unfortunate Bug reports can't be filed, but we all appreciate your time with this.

Comment

Working...
                      X