Former AMD Developer: OpenGL Is Broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
    Now a developer on the Unity3D game engine is speaking up about OpenGL too: http://www.gamingonlinux.com/article...ut-opengl.3818

I just want a good API people don't bitch and moan about as a gamer myself.
    All I can see from these devs is they have been used for too long to a particular API (D3D) and are just too lazy to learn something new (new for them, that is).

This particular guy even goes as far as saying:

I’ve no idea about Linux. I know there are binary drivers for NV/AMD, and open source for Intel – but no idea about whether Linux people update drivers, or whether they come with OS etc.
    Go figure...

Comment

And internet people blame other people without any checking, true to tradition :P

Aras is not exactly new to GL. Him not using Linux is unrelated.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtGarcia View Post
        nVidia blob drivers are OK, problem is with AMD ( bad drivers ) & Intel ( only OpenGL 3.3 on Linux )
        I've a desktop PC (AMD graphic card HD5870) and a Nvidia laptop that would like to differ to the extreme with your statement. NVidia sucks. The driver does not work correctly and installing it in the first place is a pain in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
          I've a desktop PC (AMD graphic card HD5870) and a Nvidia laptop that would like to differ to the extreme with your statement. NVidia sucks. The driver does not work correctly and installing it in the first place is a pain in the ass.
          Don't compare desktop to laptop's hybrid graphics ( 98% chance that You are talking about that ).

Comment

You're free to have your opinions but it's established fact that nvidia has better linux support than the other vendors right now.

Comment

Use Ubuntu. Installing the Nvidia driver consists of checking an option on a list. Even in the rare case that you don't get the list, installing the Nvdia driver would be no different than installing anything from Synaptic.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Him not using Linux is unrelated.
                I don't care if he uses Linux or not. It's totally relevant if he knows Linux perfectly well or not, since he's developing for Linux as well as Windows and OSX.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
                  I don't care if he uses Linux or not. It's totally relevant if he knows Linux perfectly well or not, since he's developing for Linux as well as Windows and OSX.
                  No, he is developing for OpenGL. Where the hell did you get he is developing for Linux?

Comment

OpenGL sucks!!!! We need new clean-room implementation!!! Yeaaaaahhh!!!! Let's throw everything what has been done so far!!! Yeaaaah!!! AMD Mantle is the solution!! Yeaaaah!!!! Dx12 is da beast!!! Yeaaaah!!!

I stopped reading when pretty much after the title. If they couldn't get the first time right, they won't get it right the second time as well. That's why there are versions. You find what's wrong with the current version, you fix it, and then release it in the next version.

Comment

??

my mother with 52 years old use a pc with ubuntu with nvidia card, and you can't? lol look like you install a old driver with a new card but ok. amd is nightmare in all platforms, bad render in windows, bad performance in all, in linux new upgrade of catalyst means a new xorg crashs at boot, nothing is worse than amd support, and example i can play cs 1.6(yes 1.6 in linux) in a intel hd 3000 with good fps (50/60 hd screen) but with a 6770m the game have 10/20 fps with their non-free drivers... after almost 2 years the don't work well yet, another one i can't play anno games with amd drivers because i can't read the letters... this things never happens with nvidia drivers (proprietary ofc)

AMD greater gpu, weak drivers

Comment

Working...
                      X