Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD/ATI + Linux + WINE = FAIL... all around.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No the bug is for RV410 (X700 SE) too.

Comment

Can't wait for it to be fixed so I can play my Source games in Steam...

Comment

Can't you use 8-5?

Comment

I finally got it fixed on my computer by calling "ulimit -s unlimited" before running any wine application. Seems like either Wine or fglrx get a problem with the stack and thus report missing memory.
          However, I'm fine with this bug as long as there's such a workaround, even though the graphics corruption thing still showstops windowed games...
          Last edited by NeoBrain; 23 July 2008, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Tryed other games (Civ4 Frets on Fire via Wine) and got something strange.

Civ 4 worked as supposed with 8.6 and 8.7, Frets on Fire got slower on 8.7. I Decided to try if the same happens to Linux version, and what I got is strange:

with 8.5: Runs Perfect
            8.6: Doesn't run at all (pygame error)
            8.7: Run, but slower than 8.5. In some cases it's unplayable.

Although with Wine and other games I don't see any difference with any of the driver version post 8.3.

Comment

I reinstaled my SO from Scratch and everything else (Ubuntu 8.04 x86_64 + fglrx 8.7) and my first thing was to install WoW and try how it would work from an almost "tweakless" (wine reg tweak was done) install.

Results... Last WoW patch really messed up with OpenGL. From wine appdb everyone is complaining from a blank screen! Pixel Shaders must be turn off if someone in Linux want to play. Besides that game run normaly.

Didn't try some graphic intense situations to check how 8.7 is working from a "clean" point of view.

Any one have any lights on this new OpenGL "feature"? Is affecting NVIDIA users too.

Comment

Originally posted by cjr2k3 View Post
                I reinstaled my SO from Scratch and everything else (Ubuntu 8.04 x86_64 + fglrx 8.7) and my first thing was to install WoW and try how it would work from an almost "tweakless" (wine reg tweak was done) install.

Results... Last WoW patch really messed up with OpenGL. From wine appdb everyone is complaining from a blank screen! Pixel Shaders must be turn off if someone in Linux want to play. Besides that game run normaly.

Didn't try some graphic intense situations to check how 8.7 is working from a "clean" point of view.

Any one have any lights on this new OpenGL "feature"? Is affecting NVIDIA users too.
                Not affecting my nvidia card. I made this guide a while ago. Alot of people have had success. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=654681

Comment

Originally posted by Spydr4590 View Post
                  Not affecting my nvidia card. I made this guide a while ago. Alot of people have had success. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=654681
                  I can play now, just had to deactivate Pixel Shaders (SET M2UPixelShaders "0" in config.wtf)

Do you have pixel shaders on? Some people on appdb are saying they get a blank screen if they use pixel shaders with the latest patch (both ATI and NVIDIA). I just wanted to know if someone had any ideia what causes this behaviour.

Comment

Massive Corruption with 8.7!!! (WoW + Wine + Ubuntu 8.04 64Bits)

Trying 8.6 to see if it gets better, screenshot after the test!

Comment

heh, ATi drivers have always sucked, its a fact. Windows or Linux, doesn't matter. After Radeon 9700pro it was all douwn hill. I think the best ATi card i've run was the 8500LE.

Why doesn't the ATi guys build and test against newer libGL? whats with your drivers already? You are ruining a good product. You are forcing people to buy Nvidia.

The HD4870 is $300 in store right now, but i'm gonna buy the $329 9800GX2 cos it actually works on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X