Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD/ATI + Linux + WINE = FAIL... all around.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still isn't fixed in 8.6

Comment

Requesting script and patches to install ati driver on hardy kernel

Hi Kano,

Just came across this post about a script you had that would possibly install the ati 8.40.4 driver on a 2.6.24 kernel. I wasnt able to find the script anywhere. Would it be possible for you to email me the script and patches? Also just curious, but has anybody tried the script etc on a 2.6.25 kernel? Thank you!

Firefly

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Then try 8.40.4 or older. My script can install 8.39.4 + 8.40.4 with kernel 2.6.24 with patches from mlau.

Comment

use it like:

sudo sh install-fglrx-debian.sh -v 8.40.4

(or -v 8.39.4) on vt1 (ctrl-alt-f1).

Comment

Instead of optimizing the driver to death, shouldn't fglrx now be set into a render fixing status?

Kano, there's a benchmark you use to check whether opengl is implements all these different extensions correctly. Why doesn't the fglrx team focus on getting all extensions working correctly? I'm no expert but I'm sure that would have many unexpected rendering fixes across the board, especially for wine which depends on a perfect opengl implementation to convert directx to ogl.

Comment

Yes, I use gl2benchmark, can be easyly compiled against openscenegraph 2.2 and newer in version 0.3.2 and can be used with openscenegraph 1.2 in version 0.1.2.

For etch I backported OSG 2.4.0 and gl2benchmark 0.3.2 here:

deb http://kanotix.com/files/fix/openscenegraph-2.4.0 ./
            deb-src http://kanotix.com/files/fix/openscenegraph-2.4.0 ./

For ubuntu hardy you can use this repository (has a slightly older gl2benchmark, but the rendering problems in test 3+4 are the same):

deb http://kanotix.com/files/fix/gl2benchmark.lenny ./
            deb-src http://kanotix.com/files/fix/gl2benchmark.lenny ./

If needed I can precompile it for differnt Debian/Ubuntu distros, but it should be enough to use pbuilder on the latest source for those to support newer distros.

Comment

Please help with ati script

Hi Kano,\

Thank you for the script. Guess I'm still to new. From my desktop I have both the script and the ati installer /home/Desktop install-fglrx-debian.sh ati-driver-installer-8.40.4-x86.x86_64.run.

Can you give me the exact syntax of how I would do this using your script? Also does the script include the patch? Ive always had to be in the source directory to patch things, so if the script includes the patch im not sure how to do that.

Thank you!

Firefly

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              http://kanotix.com/files/install-fglrx-debian.sh

use it like:

(or -v 8.39.4) on vt1 (ctrl-alt-f1).

Comment

Has anybody tried this "solution"?

some people in that thread said it works ;-)

(me, personally, not on PC where I have linux installed.. so, just wondering if there is any chance to run some games when I back...)

... Maybe, any comments from ATI what this could be (wine team says all the time it is fgrlx driver's problem.. But.. maybe the bug in the GL commands themselves (after translation by wine's d3d->OGL engine)?

Comment

Yeah, that solution worked for me. I have pretty rubbish framerates in games though, although that might just be my computer

Comment

@firefly

you press ctrl-alt-f1, then login as your standard user and execute it:

every patch is included. 8.40.4 works with 2.6.24 with the integrated patches, lowest driver which will work with that kernel is 8.39.4. If you need older ones you need an older kernel (like 2.6.22 -> gutsy).

Comment

Originally posted by dj--alex View Post
                      No work games:
                      STALKER 1.006 , after check disk shows blank screen
                      Everquest 2 ,after start i see cursor, and computer hangs with playing music of game.
                      Oblivion Shivering Isles , launcher works fine,but game not, sometimes i hear 0.5 second of Bethesda logo sounds but game autoclose.
                      Gothic 3 1.6
                      After show Logo Gothic game show blank screen
                      Neverwinter night2 -
                      Launcher work fine, but game NOT!
                      Gothic 2 - only splash - no game
                      Gothic 1 - only splash - no game.....
                      How are things with Wine 1.0?

Comment

Working...
                      X