Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD/ATI + Linux + WINE = FAIL... all around.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jade View Post
    How are things with Wine 1.0?
    It won't be fixed from Wine's side in the near future at all probably:
    ------- Comment #56 From Roderick Colenbrander 2008-06-26 15:08:25 -------
    Wine is doing some evil memory stuff. In short at wine startup we reserve all
    virtual memory. Dlls and apps need to be loaded in specific parts. Likely there
    isn't enough virtual memory left for ATI's driver. Alexandre suggested that we
    might need to do very evil stuff (e.g. override mmap calls made by the driver)
    in order to fix it. I think a fix is a long time away, so for now revert that
    patch as I don't think it will be reverted. Note that it might not work for
    others at all.
    So either the ATI developers fix this if they can or this problem is very unlikely to be gone in the next months.

Also, I'm following the bug report 13335 in Wine bugzilla since the early beginnings of that report, and IIRC there have now been around 7 different commits that are supposed to fix the problem. However, none of them actually worked for me, so I stopped trying after the 4th one ;-)

Comment

still having problems installing fglrx driver

Hi Kano,

I got the script to run and everything went well, compiled drivers etc. Then it completed, and went back to the prompt and then it tried to boot back into gnome but it wont load the fglrx drivers, and only mesa it appears. stuck in low resolution. after getting into gnome desktop still in mesa drivers I checked xorg.conf and fglrx was listed. I still went ahead and tried an aticonfig --initial but nothing.

Is there some step im missing after the script finishes? Was there some other comand I needed to do while still in X when doing the control alt F1?

Thanks,

Firefly

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      @firefly

you press ctrl-alt-f1, then login as your standard user and execute it:

sudo sh install-fglrx-debian.sh -v 8.40.4

every patch is included. 8.40.4 works with 2.6.24 with the integrated patches, lowest driver which will work with that kernel is 8.39.4. If you need older ones you need an older kernel (like 2.6.22 -> gutsy).

Comment

/bump
        Just wondering wether anything has got better for anyone here. For me, the problem still exists in 8.7...
        This probably has something to do with AGP cards... The QA for these cards has always been a bit "uncomplete" as AMD seems to need way too much time to recognize these kinds of problems...
        I also wonder what influence the available RAM has on this problem (I think it only applies to low RAM sizes like 512 MB), so for any future reports please include:
        RAM size
        video card model, AGP<->PCI-E, VRAM, GART SIZE
        etc...

I'm really curious how this problem came through QA... The end users have been complaining about the bad Wine support for such a long time now, but AMD still doesn't seem to recognize such a dramatic bug?
        bridgman, do you occasionally have some information about that?

Comment

I see that infamous "WINE bug" everywhere. I do use WINE a lot and never had any problem. Yesterday instaled 8.7 and run wine normaly.

System Specs:
          ATI X1400 256Mb,
          Core 2 Duo @ 1800Mhz
          4Gb Ram

Comment

Did you try to run a game like Trackmanion Nations Forever?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Did you try to run a game like Trackmanion Nations Forever?
              Nope. I run Blizzard games. Diablo 2, WoW, Starcraft.

Comment

TM triggers it directly using wine 1.1.1.

Comment

It's pretty much unusable. I can't even launch any game (even older 2D titles) without the whole screen being riddled with stretched out black boxes. Even if I try to use Wine in a Window it corrupts my whole desktop (after which I have to restart my session).
                  Hard to say if it's all fglrx's fault, because there was a time (Wine 0.9.x + fglrx 8.1) when everything worked (well, almost everything).
                  Last edited by Melcar; 22 July 2008, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                    It's pretty much unusable. I can't even launch any game (even older 2D titles) without the whole screen being riddled with stretched out black boxes. Even if I try to use Wine in a Window it corrupts my whole desktop (after which I have to restart my session).
                    Hard to say if it's all fglrx's fault, because there was a time (Wine 0.9.x + fglrx 8.1) when everything worked (well, almost everything).
                    Sorry, I was talking about the
                    "libGL error: drmMap of framebuffer failed (Cannot allocate memory)
                    libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering"
                    issue.
                    Your problem is discussed in http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10940. (even though it's about cedega, it shoud be the same problem).

So, to clarify:
                    I'm talking about Wine bug http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13335, which causes nearly every 3D app to fall back to software rendering and thus to run extremely slow.
                    The bug IS related to fglrx/Catalyst, as it is pointed out in the comments in the bug report, so AMD will need to fix this.

Comment

Hey all,

cjr2k3: This bug does not apply to your card, it's of an older series that is much better supported through both the ATI driver and WINE.

This bug is about the 3xxx series (I have a 3650) and possibly higher GPU's from ATI.

I have not attempted to run WINE yet on the latest drivers, not since 8.5 due to the fact that I recently replaced my 3650 for an 8800GTS. However, I still have the card lying around and would be tempted to try it tonight.

BTW, WINE runs great on the 8800GTS, as it does on all my other NVidia cards.

What's troubling to me is the latest turn of events with NVidia.
                      A) Reports show that their mobile GPU's are failing at an "abnormal" rate.
                      B) Their stock is dropping, especially now that ATI has a competitive card at a much more affordable price.
                      C) Roumour has it that EVGA and XFX are going to jump ship on NVidia, most likely in favor of Intel. This will put serious hurt on Nvidia.

I'm at a loss of what to do at this point. Yes, I can game in Linux and Windows, but I honestly don't like the power consumption and heat output of this GPU I'm currently using.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X