No announcement yet.

Linux is a No-Go on My System :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asrock is the cheap version of Asus, I suggest everyone to stay away from them.

Comment

Originally posted by tommcd View Post
      nsidered the possiblity that something else on your system is bad/incompatible? (RAM perhaps). My SATA controller is set to IDE mode. If yours is not, try that and see if it helps. Also, since you have several hard drives, try disconnecting all of them except the one linux is being installed on. Sorry if any of this has already been discussed. Hope this helps.
      I've tried all of those things and more. The board simply refuses to accept a linux install. I've even tried two different 939 dual-sata2 boards. The only thing I haven't done is remove the video card (nVidia 7900GTX).

I know some of you are going to suggest changing the vid card out to something less stout, but I'm tired of reducing the capabilities of my machine just to see if Linux will install. Removing/disconnecting hardware is ludicrous and I shouldn't have to do that *at all*.

Every live CD I've tried boots up just fine, so logic dictates that it should be able to install. I now have a choice between waiting for a distro with a 2.6.18 kernel or just buying another motherboard (defintitely with a nForce4 chipset). A new motherboard means I have to reinstall Windows again, and I'll do pretty much anything to avoid that chore.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or anti-Linux, and I'm certainly glad for everyone's efforts to help me out. I'm just frustrated as hell...

Comment

The 2.6.18 kernel was released yesterday, so some distros should be offering it in the coming days. You can probably grab the nightly Ubuntu Edgy Eft ISO in a day or two and that will likely have 2.6.18. Or you could grab 2.6.18 off Rawhide and remaster the FC6T3 ISOs with the new kernel -- or doing similar steps for pretty much any distribution.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Ubuntu linux bios or motherboard incompatibilities

You need the latest bios to read large partitions correctly. I do not believe anything is wrong with your hard drive. I can only boot ubuntu with acpi=off. After atempting to install Ubuntu my bios changed and no longer reads usb drives. There's nothing wrong with the drives if I place them in another machine they work fine. Something is happening to the bios when Ubuntu installs. Now I can't read or see any of my usb devices. So the question should be which motherboards and or bioses are compatible with ubuntu linux. Can ubuntu handle large hard drives with large and multiple partitions?

Comment

Ubuntu itself should have no problems handling large hard drives with large and multiple partitions, as long as it's a supported Linux filesystem.

The latest BIOS should be best off with Linux. Are you using Ubuntu Dapper Drake or Edgy Eft?
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

lose usb bios support during ubuntu 6.06 install

ubuntu 6.06, everything was fine until attempted to install ubuntu, now i have no bios support for usb at all not even in windows, I've ever heard of a computer losing usb support. But the ubuntu install did just that when it hung. When the time changes like that you know its some type of bios hiccup. The time has been reset and holds but still no usb suupoort from the bios Pheonix 3 v6

Comment

Well, perhaps it is just dumb luck, but I recently installed ubuntu edgy 6.10 on my Asrock939Dual board with no problems. I am on the BIOS that came with the board (1.40) and I have no problems, including usb support.
                I have one pesky issue with edgy. Mplayer will not play mpeg videos for some reason. Everything else is tip-top. My BIOS has not changed after the install.
                Last edited by tommcd; 03 November 2006, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Also, the nvidia 7900GTX is listed as compatible with ubuntu:

So I doubt that is the problem. Wish I could figure out what the problem is.

Comment

Well, I'm replacing the motherboard with an EPOX 9NPA3 Ultra this coming week. If anyone wants them, both of my ASRock 939Dual SataII are for sale - $50 for the pair.

Comment

It took just 1 hr 45 minutes to tear the old system down, rebuild it ( with a new primary psu and a 8800GTX), and reinstall Win2K. I expect to attempt an install of Ubuntu 6.10 sometime Friday.

On a down note, before I started reinstalling Win2K, I tried the Ubuntu 6.01 (Drake) live CD, and it doesn't appear to like the 8800gtx at all. Hopefully, 6.10 won't be so fussy.

Comment

Working...
                      X