Linux is a No-Go on My System :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsimmons View Post
    Still no-go. Mandriva hung with 10 seonds remaining on the "Installation" phase. I just don't get it.

I guess I'll try Gentoo next, but I'm not optimistic...
    Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time getting linux going, the only thing I can suggest it double check all bios settings, disable everything not needed in bios to ensure nothing is screwed up, make sure AGP apature size is the same as the amount you have on your gfx card (if you have PCI-X then this doesn't apply)...apart from that, ditch the mobo and buy a new one.

Or set FSB to 10,000 and turn it into a microwave...

Comment

Ummmm.... does it memtest86 okay?

Comment

Re: Linux is a nog go.....

Hi there.....

Don't know if this will help, but i had a major problem installing Xubuntu (& various others ) on my old PIII (1000) which was weird because i had previously been running it....

Anyway, long story short, after much mucking about & trying different things, and even re-building the machine with different parts & cables etc, i got a result when i put my original memory back in the machine, and all worked perfectly well.... so it was duff memory all the time.... it crashed every install of every OS that i tried....

Might help.... hope it does. Good luck

DJiNN

Comment

About the review on the AsRock Dual last December ...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did the reviewer test to see whether the network controller functioned properly? Everyone seems to be complaining even now about the lack of driver support including many in the Fedora forums. I took delivery of one not long ago and have had no success getting the controller to work right.

Comment

Originally posted by arcturus View Post
            About the review on the AsRock Dual last December ...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Did the reviewer test to see whether the network controller functioned properly? Everyone seems to be complaining even now about the lack of driver support including many in the Fedora forums. I took delivery of one not long ago and have had no success getting the controller to work right.
            Yes, it had functioned appropriately with Fedora Core 4/5. I don't believe we had to do anything special for the onboard LAN support.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Ok then any ideas why most are having problems while your's didn't?

Comment

Could you post some more information on your confirmation? What kernel are you using? (Did you try upgrading to 2.6.17 or 2.6.18 (though it should work with the older kernels, might as well try the new ones anyways))? What are all of the steps you have tried so far?
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I've been following this thread with intrest, as I own the Asrock 939 Dual board also. I just installed ubuntu-dapper on this board, and it installed without a problem. I set it up as dual boot with winXP. Everything works, including NIC and SATA controller. Full specs of my rig:
                  Asrock939 dual sata2
                  AMD64 3200+ venice
                  crucial DDR400 1GB
                  EVGA nvidia gforce 6600 PCI-E
                  Seagate 120GB 7200rpm hard drive SATA1
                  LiteOn DVD burner
                  samsung floppy
                  OP, have you considered the possiblity that something else on your system is bad/incompatible? (RAM perhaps). My SATA controller is set to IDE mode. If yours is not, try that and see if it helps. Also, since you have several hard drives, try disconnecting all of them except the one linux is being installed on. Sorry if any of this has already been discussed. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Could you post some more information on your confirmation? What kernel are you using? (Did you try upgrading to 2.6.17 or 2.6.18 (though it should work with the older kernels, might as well try the new ones anyways))? What are all of the steps you have tried so far?

I tried it without luck on a newer version of PCLinuxOS .93A which I think comes with 2.6.17.

Then tried Ubuntu Dapper and it worked just fine, at least the LiveCD. Looks like a distro thing ... some support it, others don't.

Comment

i once tried to install linux on an asrock mb too about 4 yrs ago, encountered problems, emailed asrock, and they said they're mb is not compatible. recently our office bought again about a dozen units, and i can't install ubuntu 6 again. somehow i got ubuntu 5.10 running, but i needed some of the upgrades in 6. i was able to install ubuntu 6 only on my laptop (ibm) and 3 units with diff mb.

Comment

Working...
                      X