Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 3D Engine Is Receiving A New UI System

Phoronix: Unity 3D Engine Is Receiving A New UI System

The developers behind the Unity 3D game engine are planning to introduce a new UI system this summer with the Unity 4.6 update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by atari314
    Unity 3d... an elephant on a treadmill...
    why is that?

Comment

More unity vaporware, they've been promising a new GUI system since I started using it back in ~2009.

The built-in GUI is junk, and they make a proft from asset store sales so they have no reason to provide a good alternative when people pay for one already.

Comment

I am not a fan of Unity 3D and frankly, this shouldn't really be on phoronix until the guys behind Unity actually bother to port the tool to Linux.

Until then, I am still hoping the full source subscription offered by Epic Game's Unreal engine kicks Unity into last week (as it continues to do in the AAA business). Frankly I think the indie landscape will be better off without that DRM infested crippleware.

Comment

I have used Unity for a Oculus Rift game for an university team project and thought it was nice to work with, but I have no experience with Unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            I am not a fan of Unity 3D and frankly, this shouldn't really be on phoronix until the guys behind Unity actually bother to port the tool to Linux.

Until then, I am still hoping the full source subscription offered by Epic Game's Unreal engine kicks Unity into last week (as it continues to do in the AAA business). Frankly I think the indie landscape will be better off without that DRM infested crippleware.
            Unity isn't even really that good anymore, they were in a strong position and squandered it. I'd pick UE4 or leadwerks over it any day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

It has been ported to linux already, and it is usually as simple as recompiling your game for linux.

The editor itself does not work in linux (yet), but the important piece (making games for linux) has been done for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by paulpach View Post
                It has been ported to linux already, and it is usually as simple as recompiling your game for linux.

The editor itself does not work in linux (yet), but the important piece (making games for linux) has been done for a while now.
                Right, but that's pretty important I think. As long as the editor itself is not native on Linux, all Unity games we get will always be second place to their Windows versions.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                  Unity isn't even really that good anymore, they were in a strong position and squandered it. I'd pick UE4 or leadwerks over it any day of the week.
                  A Unity3D license is still cheaper than UE4 and covers all platforms. Leadwerks isn't worth considering unless you think you can make a profit off Ubuntu users.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                    A Unity3D license is still cheaper than UE4 and covers all platforms. Leadwerks isn't worth considering unless you think you can make a profit off Ubuntu users.
                    A Unity3D license MAY be cheaper than UE4 but only if you meet certain sales goals however you do not get source code access in that case and AFAIK platform support is better with UE4 in that tools are getting Linux support and their web support is cross platform.You don't have to pay extra for mobile platforms with UE4 either.

Comment

Working...
                    X