No announcement yet.

First Play Footage Of Epic Games' New Unreal Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's sad seeing this happen? We already have an awesome fast paced arena fps, and fully FLOSS - Xonotic. The sad part is that more people will contribute to Epics UT (even it it costs them money) than to this project :-/.

Comment

The problem with FLOSS game projects IMHO is the inferioriy on the graphics side. Both when it comes to engine features but also when it comes to texture resolution and polygon count. Simulation complexity on the AI, physics and animation side of things is also an issue. It is probably mostly a matter of resources but I have noticed that many FLOSS projects have very low system requirements. Having to support ancient hardware means that you have to lower the compexity of the graphics. Personally I would love to see what someone could do with $10 - 20 Million and the GPL idTech 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
        It's sad seeing this happen… We already have an awesome fast paced arena fps, and fully FLOSS - Xonotic. The sad part is that more people will contribute to Epics UT (even it it costs them money) than to this project :-/.
        Last time I checked Xonotic, there was barely anyone playing, maybe a few dozen players, half of them playing instagib. Even QuakeLive which dropped linux support (and was dying for a few years now according to forums) has more and UT game can only make it better for a 'fast paced shooters' on linux overall. If Xonotic is so much better, maybe people will get disappointed with UT or something and actually look at Xonotic instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
          The problem with FLOSS game projects IMHO is the inferioriy on the graphics side. Both when it comes to engine features but also when it comes to texture resolution and polygon count. Simulation complexity on the AI, physics and animation side of things is also an issue. It is probably mostly a matter of resources but I have noticed that many FLOSS projects have very low system requirements. Having to support ancient hardware means that you have to lower the compexity of the graphics. Personally I would love to see what someone could do with $10 - 20 Million and the GPL idTech 4.
          Very low system requirements is good thing for people who have silent / low TDP machines.

Comment

Working...
          X