No announcement yet.

PathScale Is Hiring To Work On Open-Source AMD Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do they intend to make this work open source?

Serious question - i think some of their past stuff has been kept proprietary, and all the OSS graphics code is MIT licensed which would allow them that option.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      Serious question - i think some of their past stuff has been kept proprietary
      On the other hand they are not in the business of selling closed source drivers.

Their main business is compiler with GPGPU support. Helping with AMD OpenCL is just a side note that happens to help them with their own agenda:
      by helping better open-source support for OpenCL on AMD hardware, they make it easy to deploy AMD hardware on clusters, thus enabling a bigger market of cluster, thus more customer for their actual selling product.

(It's exactly the same situation as Google both paying Mozilla and developing their own Chrome browser all for free: that helps more people onto internet where these people will use google's service and enable google to make more ad-money).

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        On a side note - I really look forward to openCL support for the radeon drivers, because then I can actually put my 2nd GPU to use when running linux.
        There is OpenCL support in radeon already: http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/GalliumCompute/ , but I guess you would have to either find a distro that uses LLVM 3.5 to compile Mesa, or do that by yourself, and ask tstellar if you have any problems.

Comment

Working...
        X