No announcement yet.

3870x2 (8.5 CCC) wont work on newly installed 8.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep. Not 100% sure if ubuntu is shipping with radeonhd; my 3870 came up running the radeon driver not radeonhd when I installed Hardy.

If you have any troubles with the latest radeonhd driver you'll want to subscribe to the radeonhd mailing list and we can answer questions & help out there.

http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd
    Test signature

Comment

Eh ! Same here ...

Hi, since I'm "about" in the same situation and there is an AMD/ATI reader there, I'll tell you my issues ...

I've firstly bought a 3870X2 thinking that would work sooner or later (even with one GPU as a start). I found out nothing was working, that was three month ago ... the month later, I bought a 3870 (not X2). Well, at least I could get 2D accel and a poorly supported 3D one ...

I mean, I got 4 GB or RAM on a core 2 Q6600 which is a "standard" system for now. I thought that using a x86_64 linux distribution (I chose slamd64) I would be able to use the full range of my 4Gb !

That's true, unless I want to use ATI drivers ... as soon as I enable the memory relocation in the bios (asus P5E) and starts Xorg with ati drivers (8.3 to 8.5 included) the computer is freezing ... If I disable the option, the X is starting but there is only about 3.3 Gb of ram visible ... "ok, that could be good enough"

Now, the 8.4 only works with 2.6.24.x kernels.

I wanted to use the latest 2.6.25.4 one. Just thought "eh finally another ati crappy driver, that's supposed to work under 2.6.25 ! Let's try it !"

Compile, boot, installed, launched X ... WOW. X is starting but ... Why the f**k is there a black border around my desktop, which is then blurry ??

Just tried to fall back to 8.4, started X, and the full range of my monitor was used, but no 2D nor 3D accel at all with 8.4 and 2.6.25 ...

I'm using a iiyama B2403WS at the native 1920/1200 using DVI->HDMI.

I tried every resolution in the ati display pannel, no way to get rid of those black borders ...

I had to went back to the 2.6.24 + ati 8.4 drivers ...

Sometimes I really miss my old agp nvidia card which was fully supported and which allowed me to specify my own modelines in the Xorg config file ...

I hope ONE DAY ATI WILL BRING LINUX USERS DRIVERS THAT ARE WORKING FOR ALL OF THEIR PRODUCTS AT THE SAME TIME AND WITH THE SAME QUALITY AS WINDOWS DRIVERS !!

Cause I got atm a 3870x2 card unused, about a third of my ram unusable and an old kernel ...

Thanks again for reading.

Regards,

hehe2

Comment

Hardy ships with radeonhd 1.0, but I'm not sure if that version supports the X2. Anyway, their is no Crossfire in Linux, yet, so with that in mind, it's silly to purchase a card that needs that technology to work. Don't people still advocate "research before you buy" these days? "Hoping" that the hardware will somewday be supported is all on you, so it's rather silly to demand support. Still, the card is somewhat supported by radeonhd, so not all is hopeless (thank God for open source right?).
        In a distro like Ubuntu, fglrx should not have many major problems, specially if you generate packages yourself or use the installer; the Hardware Manager in Ubuntu never seemed to work for me. I have been using fglrx for my ATI cards with no issues whatsoever, with minor problems here and there which I have often found solutions for. Currently using 8.5 with a HD2900XT under a 2.6.25 kernel with no problems, and a 200M also with no major problems (except for slow scrolling in FF). I have 4GB of RAM on my main system and all of it is recognized and working, but I pressume the problem has to do with certain MB chips rather than with fglrx itself.
        Last edited by Melcar; 25 May 2008, 12:12 PM.

Comment

mom i couldn post my answer..
          Last edited by Mardenkain; 25 May 2008, 01:10 PM.

Comment

So, I downloaded a new ISO Ubuntu Version 8.04 and burned it today.

I formatted in the installer-Partition-Maker the "/" root directory and the "/home" directory to avoid earlier settings that could probably make problems.
            After that I started in Vesa-Mode a X Session.

Then I installed the following programs with this command:

sudo apt-get install build-essential git-core configure-debian automake autoconf xorg-dev libtool mc

after that i downloaded the new radeonhd-driver with this command:

become root in any way.
            Either with sudo gnome-terminal or with sudo passwd; followed by a new root-password and then su with the new root passwd.

cd /root
            git-clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-radeonhd

after some time I installed the driver with following commands:

cd /root/xf86-video-radeonhd
            ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/
            make
            make install

then I run mc and put easily following line in the section DEVICE in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section DEVICE
            Identifier "Configured Video Device"
            Driver "radeonhd"
            EndSection

saved the xorg.conf and make a reboot.

And what should I say? : IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            After month i got my wished resolution of 2560x1600 with my PC.
            I could only say thanks to u all and that i gave u and me a chance.

May God bless u and thanks for this work on the radeonhd-driver.

Sincerely Mardenkain
            Last edited by Mardenkain; 25 May 2008, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know how to remove "AMD Unsupported Hardware" logo on ATI driver 8.4?? My Radeon HD 3870 x2 works with ATI driver 8.4 not with 8.5 but only when I add chipId

Comment

Originally posted by Mardenkain View Post

And what should I say? : IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                After month i got my wished resolution of 2560x1600 with my PC.
                I could only say thanks to u all and that i gave u and me a chance.

May God bless u and thanks for this work on the radeonhd-driver.

Sincerely Mardenkain
                Dude i just gotta say WOOO YES, u me hero! hehe.
                My 3870x2 would only run in 800x600 with weird colors on my 22" screen, so i bet you can imagine how happy i am to finally get something to work..

Now it's just to get some kind of 3d to work.

Comment

No chances for my 3870x2 card to work with any kind of 3D acceleration? Even with a single GPU running? I am on Fedora 9, x86_64.
                  Last edited by hgzecchin; 06 January 2009, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hgzecchin View Post
                    No chances for my 3870x2 card to work with any king of 3D acceleration? Even with a single GPU running? I am on Fedora 9, x86_64.
                    With latest driver will work. My card is working. I tried it on Slackware, openSuse, Ubuntu, Kubuntu and it is working very well but only single GPU. I tried also to install wine and run some windows games and they are working too.

Comment

So, Gotthard, you are running the ATI binary driver, radeonHD or fglrx?

Comment

Working...
                      X