Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME 3.13.2 Temporarily Depends On Systemd

Default GNOME 3.13.2 Temporarily Depends On Systemd

Phoronix: GNOME 3.13.2 Temporarily Depends On Systemd

The latest development version of the GNOME desktop in the road to GNOME 3.14 is now available...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcwMzg

R.I.P. Gnome...

Quote Originally Posted by atari314 View Post
    R.I.P. Gnome...
    It's getting better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by atari314 View Post
    R.I.P. Gnome...
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/temporary

i just wish linus be harsher on the systemd guys and tell all distros not to use it. If i were him i would actually made the kernel not boot if it finds systemd on the sytem- that's the level of hate i have for the piece of software and the idea that userspace has to depend on it to do anything,even if it depends on it to add a stop(".") in the terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by sireangelus View Post
    i just wish linus be harsher on the systemd guys and tell all distros not to use it. If i were him i would actually made the kernel not boot if it finds systemd on the sytem- that's the level of hate i have for the piece of software and the idea that userspace has to depend on it to do anything,even if it depends on it to add a stop(".") in the terminal.
    If you're that blind, ignorant and petty then I think we should all be thankful you are NOT Linus. Whether we each support systemd or not, we can all probably agree on the fact that having someone like you in charge would be detrimental to Linux

Which type of dependency is that? Is it an actual dependency on some systemd libraries or just a dependency on a DBUS interface?
    Or, in other words, will there ever be a GNOME with Wayland on one of the BSDs?

Quote Originally Posted by Vim_User View Post
    Which type of dependency is that? Is it an actual dependency on some systemd libraries or just a dependency on a DBUS interface?
    Or, in other words, will there ever be a GNOME with Wayland on one of the BSDs?
    It's relying on a feature in systemd/logind (I THINK it's communicated with dbus but I am not sure) that allows an underprivileged program to get access to the input device files (/dev/input/event*), instead of relying on multiple instances of setuid helpers. This is useful for display servers like weston, and mutter, and I think possibly xorg could take advantage of that feature too.

Quote Originally Posted by nerdopolis View Post
    It's relying on a feature in systemd/logind (I THINK it's communicated with dbus but I am not sure) that allows an underprivileged program to get access to the input device files (/dev/input/event*), instead of relying on multiple instances of setuid helpers. This is useful for display servers like weston, and mutter, and I think possibly xorg could take advantage of that feature too.
    If that is the only issue, then it should be possible to port it to BSD without the systemd dependency.

i have my Fears with Systemd . its becoming another Microsoft, EVIL