Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Miss My MacBook Pro, Buggy Iris Graphics Gives Headaches

Phoronix: I Miss My MacBook Pro, Buggy Iris Graphics Gives Headaches

As many Phoronix readers will recall, I switched from a Retina MacBook Pro to an ASUS Zenbook Prime ultrabook. After overcoming some issues, the setup was nice, but I'm already having some regrets and issues...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Issues

Hi Michael,

I have an older zenbook with a 3rd gen Intel.
    In the beginning i used Bumblebee and there where often issues with that.

But now that nvidia-prime works i've settled with having to log out when switching to Nvidia.

Other than that my computer has been stable all the time. I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 now but i started on 13.04.
    Bettery life is approx 4 hrs with intel gfx and 2 hrs with Nvidia.

Br Magnus

Comment

Try different distro

I faced similar issue older Ubuntu version, try changing distro (debian-sid, fedora).

Comment

If the problem is only with Firefox, try disabling hardware acceleration (menu > preferences > Advanced > Browsing > Uncheck use hardware acceleration when available). I used to have some similar (albeit smaller, nothing as bad) problems, and turning it off fixed it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by samdraz View Post
          I faced similar issue older Ubuntu version, try changing distro (debian-sid, fedora).
          or suse :P

Comment

Awe poor Michael can't handle running unstable software(kernels) in production? Man stick to testing them for people like us who can handle these sorts of problems, fix them, but also don't have the time or resources to just automate everything like you do which makes this site's numbers & benchmark results worth being in my RSS feeds.

Fix it yourself(use a stable kernel) and stop bitching or go back to the Mac side. No one is forcing you to stick on linux but try not to bitch & whine & complain about problems you cause for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: I Miss My MacBook Pro, Buggy Iris Graphics Gives Headaches

As many Phoronix readers will recall, I switched from a Retina MacBook Pro to an ASUS Zenbook Prime ultrabook. After overcoming some issues, the setup was nice, but I'm already having some regrets and issues...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcwMzE
              RAM or Mainboard RAM related issue would IMO probably occur when the computer is under use, and specific address, or addresses is/are accessed, and not when the laptop is idle.

Comment

I think perhaps he should consider buying a laptop that is supported natively by Linux... if he's willing to shell out ridiculous amounts of money for a Mac, why couldn't he put a little more buck in to get a System76? They have iris machines that are fully supported.

Comment

Please try drm-intel-fixes

We've screwed up batch placement a bit in 3.15, and 3.15-rc7 doesn't have the fix for that yet. It's in drm-intel-fixes, Jani just sent the pull request for that to Dave yesterday.

Comment

hardware related problem imo. Try to run some graphics intensive tests over period of time and log temp sensors that are available

Comment

Working...
                    X